Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is walking three dogs on leads impractical?

Options
  • 24-07-2007 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Just thinking ahead - when winter comes and we get to the short days I will not be able to bring the dogs to the beach each day as I have been.:(

So as regards exercise I will have to exercise them by bringing them on walks around the roads at home. Now I have tried to walk the three dogs together and was a bit surprised that it wasn't the complete disaster I expected.

The main problem is that the leads get tangled up as the dogs don't behave perfectly like greyhounds and are constantly stopping and occasionally play fighting each other.

Is there any leads available for use with three dogs. I am envisioning some type of swiveling system that would make unraveling the leads a simple job.

Will probably have to use a halti on the dobies as well to stop them dragging me along. I am anxious to practice before winter as its not something to be experimenting with on a dark November evening. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We have three as well and I've experimented with all sorts of swivels or interconnecting leads. We use harnesses and there are a few connecting points that lend themselves to the adventurous experimenter. Tried everything from "sledding" setup to "three abreast" ...all very well as long as they are eager and pulling. As soon as start sniffing ,or worse, they get bored and wander around aimlessly it all just ends up in one massive knot.

Three leads in one hand and agile feet to avoid tripping seems to be the most practical solution.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

..and your roller blades of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

And keeping them really really short helps in my experience - there's less lead to get tangled and with the tighter control you can stop them acting out much quicker.

I have my 3, 2 on one side, 1 on the other. The two are small and naturally walk together with sides touching, the other dog's much taller and she wanders more.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I've been walking 2 labs & a pit bull terrier together for the last few weeks without too much hassle on 6 foot leads :) and they're 3 strong doggies - if you don't feel confident walking the 3 of them on your own is there anyone who can go walkies with you????

Advertisement