Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's so appealing about Ireland?

• 24-07-2007 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm just wondering what is drawing, say, Polish people to Ireland?
    In other words, why leave Poland, and why come to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Youre Ma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ginger chicks with freckles are extremely popular in Poland. Apart from that its probably the smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

to make money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Better pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Take hour jabs and wimmens :eek: (and mentioned above re: money)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

In general, are prices the same in Poland as they are here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Riverdance, silly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

SumGuy wrote:

as far as i know they are slightly lower but the wages are much lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

The News or somewhere told me its coz its hard to get a job in Poland without experience, and as a result, its nearly impossible to get a gaf. so they come over here, get their experience, go home, get their decent job, then get their gaf, and hey presto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Pighead wrote:
    Ginger chicks with freckles are extremely popular in Poland. Apart from that its probably the smell.
    The smell indeed.
    There are thousands of Polish people in Leixlip and they love the sweet stench.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

SumGuy wrote:
    Pardon my ignorance, but I'm just wondering what is drawing, say, Polish people to Ireland?

It's a little known fact that polish people have 25% more iron in their blood than any other people on earth. So i built a giant electro-magnet to attract them all here. I'd originally hoped to gather them into one giant ball, and roll it around ireland, growing in mass untill it would become a second moon for the planet......Then i had to move to scotland, so i turned off the magnet and now there they are.

Simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

SumGuy wrote:

Nope, everything is a lot cheaper in Poland (well apart from brand name clothes which are roughly the same price)

An example, 20 Marlboro Lights:
    Irish price = €7.05
    Polish Price = PLN 6.80 (€1.70)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

It's a little known fact that polish people have 25% more iron in their blood than any other people on earth. So i built a giant electro-magnet to attract them all here. I'd originally hoped to gather them into one giant ball, and roll it around ireland, growing in mass untill it would become a second moon for the planet......Then i had to move to scotland, so i turned off the magnet and now there they are.

Simple really.

Great imagination. Well done :D

#Elites wrote:
    thats about how much we pay for the lighters :rolleyes:

To further enrage you a beer in a good bar would set you back about €1.50

Thats even cheeper than the bloody offies!

pithater1 wrote:
    To further enrage you a beer in a good bar would set you back about €1.50

Thats even cheeper than the bloody offies!
    No way, man.
    I got bottles of Bud for 75c a piece in my local off licence last week (yeah, I know it's cool to say you hate it, but I like it).
    Heineken wasn't much more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Its got to be our one glorious season - 363 days of rain.

Terry wrote:
    No way, man.
    I got bottles of Bud for 75c a piece in my local off licence last week (yeah, I know it's cool to say you hate it, but I like it).
    Heineken wasn't much more expensive.

You lucky sod :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

Raiser wrote:
    Its got to be our one glorious season - 363 days of rain.

and two days of snow:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Mary Harney is drawing all the poles, they all wanna get up on her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The accent draws them here. Itz teh sexxxs!

• Advertisement

and two days of snow:D
    Ahh, in fairness, we do get that one day of sun every four years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

the polish are secretly plotting a coup to overtake the country placing jerzydudek who has recently moved to real madrid as their leader

Do you think it's going to stop there?
    Hitler's aryan race have a secret base in Poland and they control the Polish government. Once there are enough poles spread around Europe, they will put their dastardly post WW2 plan into action. Complete domination of Switzerland.

Not Switzerland :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

Terry wrote:
    Ahh, in fairness, we do get that one day of sun every four years.

yeah on the mystical day known as the 29th of Febuary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

pithater1 wrote:
    Nope, everything is a lot cheaper in Poland (well apart from brand name clothes which are roughly the same price)

An example, 20 Marlboro Lights:
    Irish price = €7.05
    Polish Price = PLN 6.80 (€1.70)

Supermarkets, alcohol etc etc are all cheaper, in line with the wages. Actual material goods such as branded clothes, mobiles, tvs etc are only slightly cheaper, compared to the wage there theyre more expensive than here i.e most people in Ireland could buy a decent mobile with a day or a day and a halfs take home pay, whereas in Poland it could be a week, even if the item is slightly cheaper than here.

As well as that, the UK, Ireland and Sweden were the only countries that allowed unchecked entry, although I think one or two such as Holland are starting to allow it. Additionally, the economies (and particularly the construction trades) in more traditional destinations like France and Germany are in a poor state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Ah, the sweet stench of leixlip! nothing like it! :D
    Terry, dya mind telling what offie that was with the cheap bud??!
    I'm intrigued!

Super Valu Riverforest.
    It's not part of the supermarket itself.
    It';s part of the new buildings there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

ah yes i know it, only a ten minute walk...hmm, now I have a reason to trek up that hill!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

SumGuy wrote:

Us Irish are still trying to work that one out! :D

seriously tho, ur best to ask polish people who live here already. there is a massive polish community here. So large that local supermarkets (dunnes stores) stock polish food, the daily dublin newspaper rag, evenin herald, has a weekly polish section and so on.

But if that fails to convince, just remember guinness tastes poxy in poland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Youre Ma
    4/10 for the attempt.

One of these days there will be a "What's so appalling about Ireland" thread.
    I live in hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Terry wrote:
    One of these days there will be a "What's so appalling about Ireland" thread.
    I live in hope.

And everyone will jump in with positive stuff defending the place when that happens. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

you know the entire country of Poland met up and planned this

sneaky devils

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Whitepudding

oops, almost forgot Irelands two biggest superstars who aren't available overseas. Two reasons why Ireland is worth moving to and the only reason why RTE is worth watching

Podge and Rodge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

For some reason I'm reminded of that South Park episode with the imigrants from the future : "They tuk arr jaaaabs".

First one to suggest starting a pile gets a box.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Sure some things are cheaper in Poland, like food, beer, cigs, rent et al, but aren't your typical "luxury" consumer goods more or less the same price? eg ipods, dvd players, mobile phones, cars, Gucci Bags, TVs, Fridges, Ovens etc

I know a polish girl who worked in a travel agency in Poland for 200 euro a month, now she is doing the same job here with over a tenfold increase in wages, Doesn't take a genius really.

plus, Ireland the UK and Denmark? are the only countries that'll let them work so again, doesn't take a genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

JoeSchmoe wrote:
    Sure some things are cheaper in Poland, like food, beer, cigs, rent et al, but aren't your typical "luxury" consumer goods more or less the same price? eg ipods, dvd players, mobile phones, cars, Gucci Bags, TVs, Fridges, Ovens etc

I know a polish girl who worked in a travel agency in Poland for 200 euro a month, now she is doing the same job here with over a tenfold increase in wages, Doesn't take a genius really.

plus, Ireland the UK and Denmark? are the only countries that'll let them work so again, doesn't take a genius

But I remember when cigs where €2.50 a pack, pints where €1.50 in Ireland. We had a great quality of life then.:rolleyes:

Eh no! We where either on the dole, in America or taxed at 65% on those fantastic wages we got.;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Simple really.

You're not working for Steorn, by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Terry wrote:
    It's a pity our GDP is nothing like our national income. Our GNP is several billion less than our GDP.

Also, that's exaggerated by the surge in the $/€.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stratospheres

Me :D

Had to be done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Ibid wrote:
    It's a pity our GDP is nothing like our national income. Our GNP is several billion less than our GDP.

Also, that's exaggerated by the surge in the $/€.

WTF?

Anyways, they come here for the craicski.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

embee wrote:
    WTF?
    GDP is what's produced in the country. GNP is what's produced by the country. The difference is what all the multinationals take back home, which is billions. Ireland is fairly unique like this.

Also in the last few years the Euro has surged against the US Dollar. €1 was trading at about $1.38 a few days ago, whereas a few years ago it was €1 = $1. Here's a 5 year outlook:

5y?eurusd=x

So the Euro has increased by about 40% over the past five years as a result of a load of things. When you convert our GDP (which is obviously in Euro, because that's what we use) to dollars (because that's what people use to compare) it's done at the exchange rate - which has increased 40% over the last five years. So even if us and America were exactly even in terms of GDP five years ago and still exactly even in real terms, the exchange rate transfer makes it look like we're 40% richer now. Which is of course stupid.

There are complex ways around this problem, but they're not exact and I doubt Wikipedia has gone to the trouble of trying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Ibid wrote:
    So the Euro has increased by about 40% over the past five years as a result of a load of things. When you convert our GDP (which is obviously in Euro, because that's what we use) to dollars...Which is of course stupid.

There are complex ways around this problem, but they're not exact and I doubt Wikipedia has gone to the trouble of trying them.
    From Terry's link, those figures are adjusted for exchange rates and are based on Purchasing Power Parity, which is noted at the top of the article there.

So the wikipedia people did in fact go to the trouble of trying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

They come here for the wages, most polish people are highly educate up to a masters level but the money here is a lot better even entry level jobs will pay more here than jobs that require education and experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Ireland is a soft touch.

Where else can a Polish father (or any other nationality) go to work and get childrens allowance sent back to his family. Say bring one kid to Ireland and have 3 sprogs back in Poland, get the 100e or whatever for one in Ireland, and get the rest sent over. Thats about 300e. And Poland is about a 1/3 the price of Ireland. So thats equivalent about 900e from Irish Social Welfare. Nice.

Records show Irish Children's Allowance payments are being made as far as Saudi Arabia.

This country is a fukn joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Ibid wrote:
    GDP is what's produced in the country. GNP is what's produced by the country. The difference is what all the multinationals take back home, which is billions. Ireland is fairly unique like this.

Also in the last few years the Euro has surged against the US Dollar. €1 was trading at about $1.38 a few days ago, whereas a few years ago it was €1 = $1. Here's a 5 year outlook:

5y?eurusd=x

So the Euro has increased by about 40% over the past five years as a result of a load of things. When you convert our GDP (which is obviously in Euro, because that's what we use) to dollars (because that's what people use to compare) it's done at the exchange rate - which has increased 40% over the last five years. So even if us and America were exactly even in terms of GDP five years ago and still exactly even in real terms, the exchange rate transfer makes it look like we're 40% richer now. Which is of course stupid.

Oh, I see.*

* I don't, but thanks for explaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Lil Kitten they pay tax in Ireland so they are entitled to it, thats exactly what makes us entitled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Lil Kitten wrote:
    Ireland is a soft touch.

Where else can a Polish father (or any other nationality) go to work and get childrens allowance sent back to his family. Say bring one kid to Ireland and have 3 sprogs back in Poland, get the 100e or whatever for one in Ireland, and get the rest sent over. Thats about 300e. And Poland is about a 1/3 the price of Ireland. So thats equivalent about 900e from Irish Social Welfare. Nice.

Records show Irish Children's Allowance payments are being made as far as Saudi Arabia.

This country is a fukn joke.
    A lot of them are working two jobs paying a sh*t load of tax. Most of the polish people i know dont claim anything they come here to work and work hard. I would rather seeing my tax money going towards helping a kid get an education food and clothes than seeing it going towards some lazy person who couldnt be bothered getting a job and drink it all away. But thats just my opinion

• Advertisement
Advertisement