Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing product key

• 24-07-2007 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I'm replacing a hdd in a Dell laptop. I'm waiting for a windows/recovery disk from Dell, they posted it yesterday. I'd like to do the job tonight. I've got a disk from a friend who had the same model laptop as myself. Can install this and change the key to my own key when the install is complete?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,752 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I "think" that you can use the product key which is on the label of the laptop so long as the version of XP you are installing is the same version as that which was originally shipped with the laptop (or else the product key wont work)
    Not 100% sure on this however,
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Cheers. I'm going to try that but thought that a recovery cd might not ask for the key. If it installs straight and doesn't prompt for the key and I can't change it in windows (registry?) then I'll have to do install over again when my own disk comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Doubt very much that it'll ask for the key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

When you do the Windows Update it will install the WGA checker and may tell you that the version is invalid. Also trying to install IE7 or WMP11 these apps will validate the OS before continuing. Changing the key is easy enough if the key you have matched the version you've installed as mentioned above.

Microsoft are even decent enough to provide step by step instructions here. :)

ZEN

Thanks to all. In the end I waited for my own disk to arrive. New HDD + clean install = a new laptop, virtually! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You could also use this tool provided by Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PKUInstructions.aspx

It'll go between retail and OEM versions without a problem, used it a few times when I didn't have a retail cd to hand but needed to get the system up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

shayser wrote:
    Cheers. I'm going to try that but thought that a recovery cd might not ask for the key. If it installs straight and doesn't prompt for the key and I can't change it in windows (registry?) then I'll have to do install over again when my own disk comes.

If you are using the green Dell reinstallation CD from a similar laptop/PC you won't be asked for the key, I have done this 100s of times.

only works on Dell machines!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

All Dell machines have the product key installed/programmed into the bios so the image they give you on the cd is the same regardless and will not ask you for a key!!

jonny24ie wrote:
    All Dell machines have the product key installed/programmed into the bios so the image they give you on the cd is the same regardless and will not ask you for a key!!
    So, for Windows validation etc, MS checks the bios for verification?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

shayser wrote:
    So, for Windows validation etc, MS checks the bios for verification?

Yup. When you reinstall the image from the disc you will never be asked for a CD Key!! Built in features etc modified in the image from Dell/Microsoft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement