Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting my first bike

• 24-07-2007 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

hello all,

right im 29 years old, have been driving cars for over 10 years..

im getting my first bike in a few days from a friend who just upgraded his bike and have a few questions..

1. i have a full licence, do i have to apply for a provisional for the bike? or can they add it onto my current licence? as a provisional entry or anything?

2. i have no history of bike insurance, will i have a problem insuring a 600cc bike for the first time at the age of 29? or is the cc restriction just for younger people?

thats pretty much it.. my friend was able to answer everything else for me

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

1. i have a full licence, do i have to apply for a provisional for the bike? or can they add it onto my current licence? as a provisional entry or anything?

Yeah you will have to sit a theory test for a motorbike and apply for a provisional licence.
    2. i have no history of bike insurance, will i have a problem insuring a 600cc bike for the first time at the age of 29? or is the cc restriction just for younger people?

No problem just lots of cash, prepare to pay around 1100 for insurance. Thrid party (not even theft)
    CC Restriction applies to anyone (including you) for 2 years after you get your Full licence.

At the risk of looking like an advertisement at this stage, I recommend you read my blog - It outlines pretty much exactly what you have to do in your situation.

bikeireland.blogspot.com

Maybe the mod could sticky it :)

Oh and good luck, stick with it best decision i ever made.....apart from getting married of course :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Just to restate and change a bit of the first reply.

1) You will have to apply for your prov license. You will need a A license not an A1. As A1 restricts you to a mac CC of 125.

2)You can not drive a 600cc on a prov license unless it is factory restricted and you have a cert showing this for the insurance company. You will be on this restriction until you have gotten your full license and have completed the 2 years restriction on that. (its not 2 years over all) Its as long as your on a prov and then two years on your full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Very good answers by both egan007 ands sutty! Just wanted to say well done ;)

Advertisement