Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet driver problem.

Options
  • 24-07-2007 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Im using an ethernet cat5 cable to connect hardware to my pc. Following the instruction manual I went to my network places> LAN> install. I selected to install protocol, I selected "have disk", I located the driver and hit ok. Windows begins to install the driver, and the driver manufacture appears in the list in the dialogue window. But just at the end of the installation I get an error:

Could not add the requested component. The error is: An error has occured.

Does anybody know what this error means and how to solve it. The hardware is working perfectly and I've tried 2 different cables. The decive is connected directly to the PC, no hub. Any advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Not sure about the error but if you are connecting another device directly to your PC you will more than likely need to use a crossover network cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Cool, how can I tell if the cat5 cable I have is a crossover cable. Is there something I should look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

The two ends of a straight cable are wired the same.
    The two ends of a crossover cable are wired differently.

See http://www.incentre.net/incentre/frame/ethernet.html

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Turns out I am using a crossover cable. I still get the error every time though. Windows drives me crazy. Even if it gave me details of the error it would be a help.

Thanks for the info dkane.

Advertisement