Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is getting beond a joke

• 24-07-2007 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

I got a 6230i last August from o2. Nice phone. Until January when it began to get seriously wonky, turning on, freezing, losing reception etc.

So I brought it back to o2 and quite impressively they replaced it with a refurb right there, right then.

Cue this weekend when that phone began to freeze up.

So I brought it back to o2 today and again, in all fairness, they replaced this one as well - with another refurb. (Thank god I kept the original receipt).

Cue this evening when THIS phone has bloody well gone wonky - half the screen has gone black.

Now, what's going on?

A) Am I cursed and destined to have my mobiles self destruct?

B) Are refurbs just 'sloppy seconds', usually destined to fail in the same way they failed initially?

C) Are 6230i's pieces of crap?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Yes you're cursed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

quad_red wrote:
    A) Am I cursed and destined to have my mobiles self destruct?
    Possibly
    quad_red wrote:
    B) Are refurbs just 'sloppy seconds', usually destined to fail in the same way they failed initially?
    You probably should have asked for a spanking new phone.
    quad_red wrote:
    C) Are 6230i's pieces of crap?
    One of the worst pieces of crap out there.

[rant]I have a 6230. Great phone. Then my upgrade came around and I thought "excellent, the 6230i will be one hell of a phone!". Didn't turn out so. They upped the screen resolution but not the processor which resulted in the phone running very slowly due to the extra graphics load. The firmware is very buggy and has the tendancy to just reset.

The only good thing the 6230i has over the 6230 is a higher res camera - the rest is just ****. I am still using my 6230 - I gave the 6230i away.[/rant]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Great.

I doubt they'll give me a new phone after this length of time though. Have put the sim into again to replicate the fault so I can show it to the shop.

But the screen seems to be working now. Goddamn it, come on fault! Be there so I can show you to the girl in the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

axer wrote:
    You probably should have asked for a spanking new phone.
    he can ask all he wants, he's not going to get one. o2 gives out refurbished phones if your phone goes faulty, not new ones. its still a lot better than other shops do.

the 6230i is one of the best selling phones ever made. some units will always go faulty. OP, you are very unfortunate

is working again. I can't replicate the fault.

Should I

A) Bring it back right away.
    or
    B) Wait a few days to see what happens?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

quad_red wrote:

Should I

or
    Whether you hang onto the phone for now, let them know about the fault anyway.

quad_red wrote:

Should I

or
    they can't swap it out unless they can see the fault so wait

they can't swap it out unless they can see the fault so wait

Went in at lunch and was greeted with quiet suspicion for the phone, my THIRD, was operating perfectly. I insisted that the fault was real and that this was unacceptable. Damn phone was purring though, so no go.

UNTIL I came back into the office and half the screen became corrupted and obscured once more. So I marched back over to the o2 store on baggot street (getting caught by my boss in the process) and handed the phone back in and told them to keep it (with plastic still on the screen and camera) - I'd be back in tomorrow to sort this out.

Da da da!

(Again, in all fairness, the o2 staff were very nice).

But I'm not taking any more of this crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

enter *#92702689# and scroll down till you see life timer, if its above 140:00 thats normal, its not confirmed but nokia phones seem to have a death clock built in, my analasys are the times as follows

model

2xxx (2110, 2325 etc..) : 100:00
    3xxx (3210, 3300 etc..) : 120:00
    5xxx (5500, 5050 etc..) : 150:00
    6xxx (6280, 6680 etc..) : 140:00
    7xxx (7210, 7365 etc..) : 200:00
    8xxx (8310, 8890 etc..) : 450:00
    9xxx (9210, 9300 etc..) : 650:00
    N Series : 200:00
    E series : 240:00

after that much cal time has been used the phone will start going a bit wonkey, normally software upgrade if a really old version fixes it but nokia really want you to change phone, if you notice the more high end phone you go for the better life you get, for instance an 8800 (stylish, not feature packed but works, will set you back 600 euro but youll get 450 hours out of it, where as if you buy a 3300 for say 69 euro youll only get 120 hours out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

enter *#92702689# and scroll down till you see life timer, if its above 140:00 thats normal, its not confirmed but nokia phones seem to have a death clock built in, my analasys are the times as follows

model

2xxx (2110, 2325 etc..) : 100:00
    3xxx (3210, 3300 etc..) : 120:00
    5xxx (5500, 5050 etc..) : 150:00
    6xxx (6280, 6680 etc..) : 140:00
    7xxx (7210, 7365 etc..) : 200:00
    8xxx (8310, 8890 etc..) : 450:00
    9xxx (9210, 9300 etc..) : 650:00
    N Series : 200:00
    E series : 240:00

after that much cal time has been used the phone will start going a bit wonkey, normally software upgrade if a really old version fixes it but nokia really want you to change phone, if you notice the more high end phone you go for the better life you get, for instance an 8800 (stylish, not feature packed but works, will set you back 600 euro but youll get 450 hours out of it, where as if you buy a 3300 for say 69 euro youll only get 120 hours out of it

"Death clock" - would you go on.:D ....They'd never get away with that
    may i ask what type of analysis you did to establish the times above? How many phones were looked at. I know people who have had a cheap phone for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

over 5 years about 30-40 phones,

3x 6280's in the last year start acting funny after 140 hours

at lunch. If it's busted, they can keep it.

She wrote an e-mail to O2 (of which she gave me a copy) requesting a new boxed 6230i on my behalf....

Anyone taking bets on the chances of me actually getting it?

quad_red wrote:
    at lunch. If it's busted, they can keep it.

She wrote an e-mail to O2 (of which she gave me a copy) requesting a new boxed 6230i on my behalf....

Anyone taking bets on the chances of me actually getting it?
    well you're not entitled to one so i'd say the chances aren't good. in fact o2 have no legal obligation to even give you a refurbished one. if they wanted to, they could send it away for weeks at a time to get it repaired and leave you with no phone in the meantime.

but sometimes customers get so obnoxious they get what they want just to get rid of them. good luck

well you're not entitled to one so i'd say the chances aren't good. in fact o2 have no legal obligation to even give you a refurbished one. if they wanted to, they could send it away for weeks at a time to get it repaired and leave you with no phone in the meantime.

but sometimes customers get so obnoxious they get what they want just to get rid of them. good luck

Hey! Are you calling me obnoxious ;)

In all fairness, I haven't been rude at all. The girl is lovely. And I've been mulling over moving to a bill phone in the last few months and O2's recent customer service would encourage me to stay with them.

In all fairness, I haven't been rude at all. The girl is lovely. And I've been mulling over moving to a bill phone in the last few months and O2's recent customer service would encourage me to stay with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you are entitled to get a new handset or different model if you have to swop out your phone more than 3 times, or theyll push through an upgrade for you if you're close enough to one, frankly i dont agree with the swop out system in that you only get a refurbished phone,if somethings under warranty and breaks it should be a new one straight away, the amount of people who get swop outs and then have the exact same fault with a replacement phone is crazy, take the 6111, probably the most unreliable phone ever made, it has a known battery fault and still if someone wants to get a replacement its a swop out only,even though both nokia and the networks know chances are the new one will fail as well due to the exact same issue

quad_red wrote:
    i'm not calling you obnoxious, just pointing out that unfortunately its usually the most obnoxious people who get what they're not entitled to
    krudler wrote:
    you are entitled to get a new handset or different model if you have to swop out your phone more than 3 times
    is that part of the policy? i hadn't realised
    krudler wrote:
    frankly i dont agree with the swop out system in that you only get a refurbished phone,if somethings under warranty and breaks it should be a new one straight away,
    the law requires refund, replacement or repair. there is no obligation to give a new one every time a fault develops. the swap out system is still far superior to what other shops do, ie send it off for repair for weeks at a time until its out of warranty and then tell them to go away
    krudler wrote:
    the amount of people who get swop outs and then have the exact same fault with a replacement phone is crazy, take the 6111, probably the most unreliable phone ever made, it has a known battery fault and still if someone wants to get a replacement its a swop out only,even though both nokia and the networks know chances are the new one will fail as well due to the exact same issue

in that case, the fact that its a refurbishment makes little difference. anyone who says they have a fault with their phone need only say they have a 6111, no further details are necessary. they could get a refurb or a new one, it'll still be a pile of crap. although i hear o2 are now offering people with 6111s different models because they've aknowledged they're crap which is good

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv a Nokia 6230i, working fine for me. Heavy user.

Advertisement