Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IP Question

• 24-07-2007 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

I have a machine with an IP address 10.0.0.3. My internet gateway has an address of 192.168.3.250. I need to keep both address's "as is". How do I configure the machine to route IP requests through my gateway without having to change either address?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Any more info? i.e. Network topology etc? Is there a router in between, why they have different addresses etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

They are two separate networks, with no router installed. Different addresses because they have to be for the moment. The short story is that we have just bought over a new business and I have moved the IT infrastructure (nuts and bolts) into our building.

I need to give the new network (IP Addr 10.0.0.3) access to our gateway, 192.168.3.x.

Both networks are Windows based.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Your gateway address must be on the same subnet as the network that connects to it. so for that one PC you can add a second IP address to it's network card. windows machines ( maybe vista is different ) can only use one gateway no matter how many it lets you fill in network settings, so set ONE default gateway on One card ( even if you try the other option of two NIC's - another solution but not elegant). If you need to see other subnets you can simply add static routes to them so as to not use the gateway.

=======================================================

If you need a whole bunch of machines to see both subnets then you need a router / device capable of routing that has both a 10.0.0.y and a 192.168.3.x address.

In NT 4 in tcpip properties there was a tick box to enable ip forwarding to allow the workstation / server pass traffic between both networks.

In 2000 / Xp / 2003 the tick box has gone so its a simple 0 or 1 registry setting. http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/w2kprout.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

As the good Capt'n said.
    Basically it can't be done, you'll need to have a gateway on the 10.0.0x subnet that can see your current gateway...

Advertisement