Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signal Strength / Ampage

• 24-07-2007 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Does the amount of power available to my router make a difference to the strength of the signal I get?

I have a Net 1 wireless broadband install on the gable end of a shed in the farmyard. The power supply to the enclosure for the install is coming thirty feet from a socket to the Net 1 gear. The power supply gives 12V @ 1.5A which is the stated requirment for the Net 1 equipment.

I have put in a new enclosure containing a NetGear RangeMax wireless router. The power requirement for this router is 12V @ 1A. I have spliced the power supply cable for this onto the supply from the existing power supply (30 metres away at the socket).

Both units are now powering up and I have successfully connected to the NetGear router from the house (circa 100 metres). I haven't been able to test the Net 1 connection because I have lost the DNS settings to connect the router to the Net 1 gear.

I'm wondering will my signal strength be diminished because I am powering two devices with a combined requirement of 2.5A @ 12V with a power supply designed to give 12V @ 1.5A.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

The PSU will probably die at some stage , it may take their gear with it ( the rom in some wireless cards becomes corrupted if the voltage goes low)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Maybe I should put in a 7.5A PSU. It's working fine at the mo.

Advertisement