Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone-type contacts for pocket PC

• 24-07-2007 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Despite the hype of the latest Apple fad, there is ONE feature that I thought was pretty unique, that being the finger scrolling of the contacts.
    Happily some pocketPC whizz has released a freeware version that works in much the same way - and it's pretty friggin cool. It works great on my Wizard.

You can get it at http://www.pocketcm.com/

Windows mobile 5 & 6 only though.

If you like it enough, you may want to change the registry to make it your default contact display (as I have done). The FAQ will help you set it up.
    I think you'll agree it works very well.
    Enjoy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Dr. Dre wrote:
    Despite the hype of the latest Apple fad, there is ONE feature that I thought was pretty unique, that being the finger scrolling of the contacts.
    Happily some pocketPC whizz has released a freeware version that works in much the same way - and it's pretty friggin cool. It works great on my Wizard.

You can get it at http://www.pocketcm.com/

Windows mobile 5 & 6 only though.

If you like it enough, you may want to change the registry to make it your default contact display (as I have done). The FAQ will help you set it up.
    I think you'll agree it works very well.
    Enjoy.

very nice.
    pity it 's only for contacts and not more general.
    without doubt though wm needs to gets its act together in this whole UI area. i'm sick of using a stylus tbh.

interesting though a piece of understated freeware can do much the same job as the iphone's much-vaunted UI- for contacts atleast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

There are more complete iphone interface makeovers available for windows mobile devices, but some of them are treading a fine line in terms of copyright, so I wont be postng them here. However, I'm not particularly a fan of the iphone UI as a whole, I'm more than happy with my spb mobile shell setup, I rarely use the stylus tbh. And if HTC ever drop the slide out QWERTY (which I fear they might) I don't know what I'll do, going back to T9 would be a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Dr. Dre wrote:
    There are more complete iphone interface makeovers available for windows mobile devices, but some of them are treading a fine line in terms of copyright, so I wont be postng them here. However, I'm not particularly a fan of the iphone UI as a whole, I'm more than happy with my spb mobile shell setup, I rarely use the stylus tbh. And if HTC ever drop the slide out QWERTY (which I fear they might) I don't know what I'll do, going back to T9 would be a nightmare.

yeah i've been using spb mobile shell recently and I find it very helpful- eliminates a lot of stylus input.
    comes in very handy for opening satnav for example.

still no easy navigation BETWEEN apps though ie closing one app and opening another.

what don't you like about the iphone UI btw. it seems very slick tbh.
    what's not to like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just tried it and I love it!

Though, I must have fat fingers - I have to use my nail, 'cos my finger just won't work. :D

Nice catch. I always keep an eye on pocketpcfreeware.com, so I'm surprised I missed something this good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Dr. Dre wrote:

"spb" do a full screen keyboard (ie touch screen keyboard) which I find quite good - I can touch type if I concentrate but it also makes typing with the stylus a lot quicker and easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

tom dunne wrote:
    Just tried it and I love it!

Though, I must have fat fingers - I have to use my nail, 'cos my finger just won't work. :D

Nice catch. I always keep an eye on pocketpcfreeware.com, so I'm surprised I missed something this good.

Have you noticed what happens when you run your finger slowly down the far right hand side of the screen?? Sweet as. This of course works down the left hand index too, but it's easier to see if you do it down the right hand side.
    art wrote:
    "spb" do a full screen keyboard (ie touch screen keyboard) which I find quite good - I can touch type if I concentrate but it also makes typing with the stylus a lot quicker and easier.

Sorry, what I meant was, my slide out keyboard on the wizard :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dr. Dre wrote:
    Have you noticed what happens when you run your finger slowly down the far right hand side of the screen?? Sweet as. This of course works down the left hand index too, but it's easier to see if you do it down the right hand side.

Yeah, the letter. Nice touch.

Who needs an iPhone? :D *runs for cover*

Advertisement