Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US to replace all Humvees by end of 2009

• 24-07-2007 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

There's been a lot in the news recently about the US replacing all their Humvees in Iraq, 9000 next year and the rest by 2009, http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/05/army_humvee_070509w/
    they are replacing them with MRAP's Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles. I'm amazed it has taken them so long after watching video after video of hummers getting shredded, the MRAPS are supposed to be a hell of a lot better at resisting IED's, I wonder will the insurgency find any way of taking them out, bigger IED's is the obvious thing to try.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think one of the Democrats mentioned these the other night on the CNN/Youtube Debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

MooseJam wrote:
    I'm amazed it has taken them so long after watching video after video of hummers getting shredded

In fairness the US had issued uparmour kits fairly quickly for the standard Humvee and has been using the armoured M114 variant in ever increasing numbers for some time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

cushtac wrote:
    In fairness the US had issued uparmour kits fairly quickly for the standard Humvee and has been using the armoured M114 variant in ever increasing numbers for some time now.

True, they were pretty quick to up-armour the hummers unfortunetely they still weren't much protection against IED's, I would have thought they would replace them as soon at this was realised and not a couple of years later, especially since 70% of combat deaths are by IED. There could be a huge drop in casualties if a really effective armoured vehicle was deployed, and with the US administration taking endless stick over the war it's something you would have thought would be done a bit quicker. I suppose it's all administration and red tape, an organisation as big as the US military must be fairly slow to move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

MooseJam wrote:
    True, they were pretty quick to up-armour the hummers unfortunetely they still weren't much protection against IED's,

That's not what's coming back from Iraq & Afghanistan. M114 crews are surviving IED attacks that otherwise would have killed them, like this:

flippedhmr2.jpg

If they weren't much use, the US forces in Iraq & Afghanistan wouldn't be looking for more of them. The problem with the M114 is down to the fact that the basic platform wasn't designed to carry the weight & the end result is a drop in performance & handling.

Advertisement