Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB advice for rathgar - fixed line VS IB vs O2

Options
  • 24-07-2007 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to pay €30 a month for a broadband package which can give me the most reliable service at at least 1mb.

Where I am at the moment I'm paying 40/month for cable BB at 2mb down / 1mb up, which far as I know is pretty superb!

I'll be moving to a flat with a phone line, some kind of cable (probably not suited for cable though?), and all Irish broadband and Digiweb packages are available.

Given that this 30 / month needs to include line rental that probably limits me to these wireless packages, from either IB or DW? I'd also quite like the O2 3G service, but not sure how their ports are?

Experiences - I could certainly afford 2mb, but I need ports open for P2P, gaming, torrents and so on - basically no restrictions. I'd also hate to have a small download cap.

Any opinions? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

cianclarke wrote:
    I'm looking to pay €30 a month for a broadband package which can give me the most reliable service at at least 1mb.

Where I am at the moment I'm paying 40/month for cable BB at 2mb down / 1mb up, which far as I know is pretty superb!

I'll be moving to a flat with a phone line, some kind of cable (probably not suited for cable though?), and all Irish broadband and Digiweb packages are available.

Given that this 30 / month needs to include line rental that probably limits me to these wireless packages, from either IB or DW? I'd also quite like the O2 3G service, but not sure how their ports are?

Experiences - I could certainly afford 2mb, but I need ports open for P2P, gaming, torrents and so on - basically no restrictions. I'd also hate to have a small download cap.

Any opinions? Thanks.

Anybody? Irish Broadband experiences, what ports are open, reliability?
    Same goes for Digiweb?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are Smart available in that area?
    They would come in at round about the thirty euro (including the line rental eircom expect) and have no caps, high speeds, are reliable and best of all are not eircom.

Smart looks very good indeed! Cheap, and free equipment (which I presume stays theirs, but hey...)
    The only concern is 140 quid for wireless - I'm not sure how their BB comes in, can the modem be connected straight up to a cheapo wireless router? Maybe buy the router off Eircom for the pisstake, hehe

Thanks for the recommendation.

Edit: Only worries are (a) 12 month contract I'll probably only be in my flat for 10 months, and (b) if you move address the contract ends for where you are at the moment, which is a bit of a bitch. Still, won't rule them out!

Still interested in hearing about IBB / Digiweb - are they as relaible as fixed line?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes you can connect any router to Smart - it's just that they only offer support for the one they supply, which is fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Why not go in person to Rathgar, look around the area near where you expect to be for a Digiweb antenna
    http://www.digiweb.ie/images/10-5%20antenna.jpg
    and ask the folks that have it ?

• Advertisement

tak wrote:
    Why not go in person to Rathgar, look around the area near where you expect to be for a Digiweb antenna
    http://www.digiweb.ie/images/10-5%20antenna.jpg
    and ask the folks that have it ?
    Oh god... So it's not just a modem type reciever like they show in the adverts?
    Can't see myself getting away with that in a rented house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Why not ?
    It's for the landlord to say.
    Might be one up there already. If not someone else in the house may go halves on it with you. That would make full Metro viable.
    http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_index.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=90&zzz=hm
    Make sure to explain the low VoIP charges to them - it's a strong point.

Whatever you do, don't put in Irish Broadband Ripwave. It's a heartbreaker.

Advertisement