Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

someone should call the guards..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

oh man those tyres are scary, must be fun trying to turn into roundabouts in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Recently had one of our own company driver's call in because her car had broken down. Looked on the system and the only time the car had been in anywhere was when it broke down previously (Megane - need I say more), meaning that it had not been serviced, or more scarily - not had tyres in 78000KM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd hate to think how she was managing to stay on the wet back roads of Galway / Sligo area.

Some people beggar belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

from the irish times today : http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0726/breaking46.htm

One in eight cars using illegal tyres

Patrick Logue

More than 12 per cent of cars on Irish roads may have illegally-low tyre thread depths, according to research published today.

According to the Irish Tyre Industry Association study, this means as many as 200,000 cars are driving on illegal tyres.

The data was revealed as a joint campaign by the ITIA and the Road Safety Authority was launched by Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey.

"Motorists need to be extra vigilant when it comes to vehicle maintenance and tyre safety is an important element of that," Mr Dempsey said.

"This tyre safety campaign is an important one and I hope that it will prompt motorists to regularly check their tyres for depth, damage and pressure. Keeping your tyres in good working order might just save a life."

Michael Rowland, director of road safety education and research at the RSA said the condition of vehicles is a factor in just 0.7 per cent of fatal road collisions. However he added: "The breaking distance of your vehicle and its ability to handle wet weather conditions are all dependent on having safe and legal tyres".

As part of the tyre safety campaign the RSA and the ITIA have developed a tyre safety leaflet which is being distributed in all National Car Test Service (NCT) renewal notices over the next 12 months.

It will also be available from local driving test centres, NCT centres, local authorities and will be circulated to Garda stations. The leaflet contains important information on tyre safety and a tyre tread depth gauge.

Some 3.1 per cent of cars have failed the NCT due to tyres being under the legal tread depth limit of 1.6mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Disgraceful, I've seen more thread on a condom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Wasn't surprised with the ban imposed by Unkel, and would agree with it in principle.

I agree also with DonJose, there are a lot of godawful foreign drivers out there, and out of all of them, the african bunch seem to be the worst (I'm sorry to say!), they drive like pigs with blinkers on, deliberately oblivious to all the hassle and annoyance they cause. There's loads of Irish drivers similar, but per capita, the locals are far better.

Honestly, I can't explain figure out how they're let drive here at all. Is there a license swop thing going on?

I don't want to tar them all, some do very well and are good drivers of higher calibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

CLADA wrote:
    Disgraceful, I've seen more thread on a condom.
    TREAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Alun wrote:
    TREAD

Thats what I mheant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Ah but the ex tyre man in me sees the new balance weight. it has either been fitted or balanced in a tyre depot recently and the professionals should know better.
    comments on a postcard to....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Maybe they only drive when its dry, making them safer than the rest of us with treaded tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Advertisement
Advertisement