Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creationism - what have we learned?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

After almost 700 posts J C still hasn't evolved enough to use the 'quote' function properly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

thats true. He can use other modifiers pretty well.
    Does he add hyperlinks to his posts or just paste the URLs parsed?
    I don't remember seeing that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'm beginning to see that the thread is much more informative and level-headed when J C doesn't post. To the extent that I'm willing to suggest that his posts be ignored from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

5uspect wrote:
    Not smart enough perhaps!
    You mean Dawkins is less intelligent than the average Late Late Show viewer? :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Galvasean wrote:
    You mean Dawkins is less intelligent than the average Late Late Show viewer? :confused:

No, he's not doing enough to manipulate them the way Mr Casey did.
    Dawkins is all facts and lacking in spin. He needs to get the audience on his side.
    Probably he doesn't want to sell himself but often this results in poor debate.

(Dare I say it but he's not being sensationalist!:p )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

I've learned that there are a lot of good people who are willing to do something, and try and help other people understand subjects they may not have encountered before.

Also, I think I was kinda ''praying'' for Dawkins on the Late Late. I think that some people who have an unshakeable belief in anything, are missing some kind of connection between different spots in their brains. I will have to wait for more evidence on that though, but from the arguments etc on threads I am begining to feel convinced of this.

The best debater for the atheist perspective I've seen was an ex-evangelist. He'd been an evangelist for a long long time. I can't remember his name, but we need more like him. It was a debate set up by the Islamic sociey in NY, I think.

Boards posters are obviously fantastic, but I imagine a lot harder to debate publicly with an audience who are mostly religious.

I've learned there's no point, so I don't post so much anymore >.<
    Also, there are christians that make the religion look like a cult gone wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

karen3212 wrote:
    I've learned that there are a lot of good people who are willing to do something, and try and help other people understand subjects they may not have encountered before.
    That's a very charitable view to take of JC. I am impressed.
    Also, I think I was kinda ''praying'' for Dawkins on the Late Late. I think that some people who have an unshakeable belief in anything, are missing some kind of connection between different spots in their brains.
    I think that is a little unfair on Dawkins. While he does appear to have an unshakable belief in his own opinions, that hardly means he is missing a connection in his brain. The poor guy just got on the wrong track somewhere along the line. I pray for him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

PDN wrote:
    That's a very charitable view to take of JC. I am impressed.

I think that is a little unfair on Dawkins. While he does appear to have an unshakable belief in his own opinions, that hardly means he is missing a connection in his brain. The poor guy just got on the wrong track somewhere along the line. I pray for him too.

I'm so glad you decided the atheist forum was worth your time - I admire enormously your cheekiness.

admiringly,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

PDN wrote:
    While he does appear to have an unshakable belief in his own opinions, that hardly means he is missing a connection in his brain.

Indeed not; either that, or just about everyone here is missing the same connection .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Its called being human..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Zillah wrote:
    I have learned that a huge percentage of the human race are completely insane.

And it scares the hell out of me that there are so many!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070807/us_nm/ethiopia_fossil_dc

I see a display to rival "Dinosaur Land" is off to the US.
    Wonder what the creationist types will think of 3 million yr old "Lucy" coming to their shores...

Advertisement