Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gooseberries Look Sick.

Options
  • 25-07-2007 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

lOOKING FOR ANSWERS AGAIN FROM THE GARDENING PRO'S. GOOSEBERRY BUSHES HAVE NOT YEILDED MUCH THIS YEAR, WHAT FRUIT IS THERE IS COVERED IN A FINE WHITE POWDERY COATING. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THEM ?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

sounds like fungus. any pictures? No need to type entirely in caps!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

A fungus is right I'd say, this is more than likely Gooseberry mildew, a downside of our wet summer.
    If it is Gooseberry mildew then a Fungicide containing carbendazim or mancozeb specially created for fruit bushes can be used.
    Combine this with the pruning out of affected branches, where the leaves have a powdery coating as well.
    Also allow as much air to circulate around the bushes as possible by pruning back surrounding growths.
    The fruit will be edible, but it may discolour upon cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi mamags

You have mildew on the plant. I have that also. You need to carfully cut the plant down below the mildew try not to disturb the mildew, and put in a plastic bag or burn, dont put it on the compost.

Then get some sulphur in any garden shop and spray on the leaves and hope next year for a better crop. If you get mildew again it might be wise to remove the plant and buy a new plant.

here a link http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/dc6.php

regards
    Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mamags

Thanks a lot for the answers, have to get down to work on them there goosee berries, have about 5 bushes, so hope the rain stays away.
    Could not find my reading glasses, so did not realize my question was in caps ;)

Advertisement