Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to get into cycling

Options
  • 25-07-2007 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

hi,
    im a student & work in dunnes in the evening, have loads of free time and dont really do much exercise so ive been thinking about getting into cycling again.
    i used to cycle years ago, but on a 18gear, so i wouldnt really call that cycling.

ive been doing a bit of reading and getting a single gear bike seems like a good idea, ill be moving back to college in september, no steep hills, so i can use it at college too.
    what i would like would be a no frills, light bike with brakes.
    anyway what would ye recommend?

granted im saving money for college so around the 200 or less?
    would DIY be an alternative?

thanks
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Read up about on single speed or track bikes before buying, I would think for somebody starting again it would not be ideal. Nothing wrong with an 18 speed either, its all about spinning the legs and not crunching imo.

As for what to buy, for 200 you will be limited to second hand or DIY I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i used to cycle years ago, but on a 18gear, so i wouldnt really call that cycling.
    :confused:

I would sooner a single speed than fixie. If you are not competeing then I would go for a hybrid, and one with gears. Definitely have to be second hand at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Why would you think that?

Having multiple gears allows you to maintain, within reason, the same cadence while cycling over differing terrain, and is the most efficient method of cycling.

I'm sure the experts will be along to set you straight. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Eh? What exactly do you mean by that?
    ive been doing a bit of reading and getting a single gear bike seems like a good idea,
    I don't think a single or fixed gear is a good idea for someone starting out, whatever sort of objection do you have to gears? They have been consistently popular with cyclists of all levels since the 1930s you know. Fixies have their own particular charm but are not really an all-rounder or ideal for a first bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

probably the mindset i've been in after reading about single gear,
    you gotta put more work in when cycling one, didnt mean to offend :o ,

ya i'll continue my reading anyway over the next week or two.

thanks for the info.
    im not an impulse buyer anyway, probably be two weeks before i consider anything.
    thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement