Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile broadband

Options
  • 25-07-2007 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

just taught id ask the question, i know there was a lot of hype about mobile bb but from what im reading is it worth it ?

is mobile bb 16 votes

worse than dial up
    0% 0 votes
    on par with dial up
    12% 2 votes
    a bit faster that dial up
    25% 4 votes
    as good as bb
    37% 6 votes
    inconsistent speed
    25% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

pm. wrote:
    just taught id ask the question, i know there was a lot of hype about mobile bb but from what im reading is it worth it ?

I am asking the same questions.
    Over the last few weeks this board has exploded with mobile BB threads.
    And all the operators are pushing it.

Could a sticky be created detailing the packages, limits, realistic speed expectations, technical and location limitations, pros and cos etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Good idea.

Also - since this has been alleged as a reason for poor performance by some vendors - the type of situation within which the modem was being used, e.g. if in a building, say if it is steel-framed, traditional construction, timber-framed or whatever. If outside a building say if used in a car, in the open, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Its hard to say its up and down so much. But still gave a vote on what i think its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

My experiences with 02, 3 and a Portugeese company indicate that speeds of between 100 and 300 are about what you get from the usb 3g dongles. Im sure others are getting better but overall not marvellous. Considering they are advertised as 3.6Mbps I would say an average of 1/10 of advertised speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The quoted speed is for ONE person in a sector with perfect signal. Add more people or poor signals and EVERYONE is quickly looking at ISDN speeds.

Realistically you can expect about 1/12th of the peak spead as best when the service is popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

if the speed is only 1/12th then its not bb at all, the sooner comreg can regulate the bb market the better for all consumers and stop this rip off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Got 3000+ kbps down and 240 kbps up from the O2 variant in the O2 shop at 1 pm today.
    I suppose that was owing to no contention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

with 3 i usually get good speeds in the morning and late at night (1mb ish)

but between 7-10 in the evening when most users are log on its goes to pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It all depends. During my dial-up days, I don't remember having a lot of problems with downloads hanging or web pages timing out. It was slow but at least it was consistent and I knew what to expect. 3 mobile "broadband" after 7pm is an inconsistent beast, with downloads sometimes hanging and pages timing out because the modem can't maintain a HSDPA signal for long. Time to get a job with anti-social hours I think :cool:

Advertisement