Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book 3 of Soldier's Son Trilogy now published

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Just finished this, great read and the ending has something for everybody.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just finished this, great read and the ending has something for everybody.
    How does it compare with the rest of the series? I've only read book one so far but I enjoyed reading it even if the plot wasn't nearly as good as her other stuff.

Alot better than one, I enjoyed the second and it is a little better than that. The speck get a lot more exposure in this book and you get a feel for their struggle. I particularly enjoyed Nevarre's battle with himself.

A bit more work on the plot in this one as there has to be to bring this to a good conclusion and alot of the threads that were left flapping around from the first two books are tied off nicely. Once I got into it I spent almost two nights up reading until 4am reading it as I was so hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Alot better than one, I enjoyed the second and it is a little better than that. The speck get a lot more exposure in this book and you get a feel for their struggle. I particularly enjoyed Nevarre's battle with himself.
    I agree.
    A bit more work on the plot in this one as there has to be to bring this to a good conclusion and alot of the threads that were left flapping around from the first two books are tied off nicely. Once I got into it I spent almost two nights up reading until 4am reading it as I was so hooked.

Yes the last hundred pages or so seemed tacked on after the main plot had concluded, where all the threads were tied up. Very enjoyable reading, but I felt vaguely like I was reading a novellette or something seperate to the rest of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

excellent will pick this up soon

thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement

pwd wrote:
    Yes the last hundred pages or so seemed tacked on after the main plot had concluded, where all the threads were tied up. Very enjoyable reading, but I felt vaguely like I was reading a novellette or something seperate to the rest of the book.

That's true, could have ended at the tree but hey, if it did we wouldn't and in fairness if it didn't then the book couldn't as it was written in the first person :)

Vagueness deliberate, don't want to spoil this for anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Afraid this is one book of Hobb's I will not be buying, I absolutely hated Forest Mage and cannot condone handing over any of my hard earned cash to hear any more of Nevarre's magic eating disorders. Weakest series ever from Hobb imo.

Advertisement