Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Combo van

Options
  • 25-07-2007 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I am in the market for a small second hand white van for a small business. I have looked at 2004 Opel Combos and Citroen Berlingos. They are for sale by a hire company. The Combo with about 50,000 miles works out at €5,000 including VAT. The Berlingo is a little cheaper. The guy selling the vans says that the Combo is way better as the 1.7 engine is turbo charged where the 1.9 Berlingo is not a turbo. and that the load space is better.

Which of these would you go for or would you recommend something else? The van will only carry me and light equipment and boxes etc. The primary use will be as a platform for company logo, phone no. etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

the combo by far is the best and will go for ever if looked after, the berlingos are heaps of junks, we've 2 in work and they are so bad its unreal.. my mate bought a combo up north in an auction for 2500, its a 03 with fsh and it only costs 50 to take it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I agree, Combo wins heads down !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Thanks for the feedback. Are there any major problems I should look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

joolsveer wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback. Are there any major problems I should look out for?

I think there was a problem with the rear door locks, can't remember if it turned in to a recall or whether it was fixed when they broke. (Combo that is). Can't remember any further problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the 1.7 diesel is very rugged, and I've never heard of them giving major trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Onthebus

so did you buy a combo in the end?

I bought one a year ago. A few months later it wouldnt start. I phoned opel service garages around and found out that the dashboard plugs into the electrics which come thru from the engine compartment and this connection can sometimes come loose or not plug in properly and it needs to be opened and modified so the connection has more length to plug in.

From that point on anytime it wont start I thump on the dashboard so that it does plug in and it all starts fine. Before that the dashboard had been turning off, lights and dials, but not anymore since I started thumping it!
    It knows whos boss and we get along fine now!

Im serious, not making this up. I was going to get it repaired but I didnt bother since I solved the problem.

But I was thinking of buying a Hayes repair manual for it - any of you out there want to sell one?
    Its a 2003, 1.7 turbo diesel

Advertisement