Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swell predictor website - Good News for surfers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

It's the business alright, all the content on that website is reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

for last 3 months its been terrible for tramore, constantly getting forecasts wrong

It's been good for Lahinch, rain,wind,no swell, rain,wind,no swell...............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ill be putting it to the test in 2 weeks time when I head to Lahinch meself.

good, just note that in Lahinch high tide comes about an hour earlier than high tide is reported, I think this is because of the protection setup on the beach.
    Keep your eye on the surfcam at http://www.lahinchsurfshop.com/lahinch/
    there's links to all webcams in the current locality from magicseaweed

• Advertisement

Cheers Learner plates. Nothin worse than heading across the country to find small spills at the beach! Ive only surfed once before, got 3 x2hr lessons in Lahinch, but the last of the 3 lessons was the worst ever, due to no swell. Nearly fell asleep out on the board!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Here's a tide prediction that should have a point near to your locality:
    http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyTide/index.aspx

I was actually kinda surprised at the lack of tidal info online, would have thought that most of this info would been far more prevelant.

Oh, and while we're in linky mode:
    www.windguru.cz
    www.beachwizard.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

Magic seaweed is NOT reliable. It gets it spectacularly wrong frequently.
    It is useful as an indicator but don't think it;s accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭irishsurfer

For tides, try the 'Pocket Almanac'
    Prints off on two sides of a single A4 sheet.
    Front
    http://www.irishsurfer.com/almanacs/2007JULAUGSEPfront.doc

Back
    http://www.irishsurfer.com/almanacs/2007JULAUGSEPback.doc

In the near future, the weather section at irishsurfer.com will be developing a new projection system, still experimental, but it is on the blocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

The surf looks savage across the country this weekend according to magic seaweed. Anyone else confident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

There is an extratropical storm forecast to push up from the SW between Iceland and Ireland for the coming weekend.The western seaboard will see some large swells particulary the NW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Looks like there'll be a fair old whack of wind arriving with it too though, I wouldn't be expecting perfect conditions by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Atm the main bulk of the winds will be well off shore(however this could change)its the surf will be thrown up well ahead of the main area.Large surf will be noticed from friday onwards while conditions overhead will be still and perfect.

I'll take that prediction so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Swells look to be building from friday night. Will be some surf in the 3 foot range on all the exposed beaches on friday evening. Winds look to be cross offshore on Friday and moderate.
    Streedagh strand would be the safe option, with nice clean 3 foot I'd guess.

Saturday Tullan should be epic well overhead in by the cliffs but be careful, these are some of the more powerful waves this summer! Especially worth a look between 3PM and 8PM, low tide being 6PM. All the reefs will be pounding on Saturday too, but if you're at that level you will have your own forecast for your own spots!
    If it gets too big, Rossnowlagh or Streedagh would both be perfect as well, a little smaller but lots of peaks all along the beaches.
    If you're a beginner, Mullaghmore beach would have the smallest waves, mabye 3 foot. But would be the cleanest as the wind should be perfectly offshore there.

Sunday both winds and swell looks set to start dropping off, but the winds will swing cross onshore. Again streedagh strand or anything north-ish facing would hold it well. Probably be in the 4 foot range again.

Monday will be similar again with all the exposed beaches worth a look.

That said, the winds might change.
    Basically any exposed beach will be epic on Saturday with good surf friday and sunday and alright surf on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Thanks for the info Fuzzy, great detail there.

Anyone know where will be working well near Sneem in Kerry?

Rossbeigh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Thanks, I will check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 robotfridge

I was surfing in White Rocks Bay just outside Portrush on Sunday and had a great day. There were also a few on the West Strand and some on the East Strand. Waves weren't perfect in WRB but they were there, and even though the place was tres busy everyone was havin a class time.

Lets hope there are some waves this weekend again, surfing is without doubt the best way to take my mind off my great summer job in a call centre...

And i think magicseaweed is a pretty good prediction of the waves and swell etc, obviously its not 100% but it hasn't let me down yet (mostly for predicting around portrush and bundoran)

Rudy hell the waves in Lahinch at 5pm till 7pm on Saturday were immense.
    Swell was great when I was out early that day and not bad on the Sunday either.

• Advertisement

Easkey left was washed out, but the right was barreling triple overhead very heavy.

Sat was way too big for the exposed beaches but all the reefs and protected beaches were tanking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Waves at LaHinch were big (well ... from my limited experience) albeit a bit messy on Saturday - was in the water from just after 3pm until about 5pm.

Sunday afternoon wasn't too bad either, although the beach was verrrrrrrry busy. I had two collisions, two near misses, and several rolls off my board to avoid catching an incoming wave and plowing into someone who just wasn't moving out of the way. Waves on Sunday afternoon (4pm - 6pm) weren't as big as the previous day, but felt more powerful and were cleaner in general. Whilst Saturday's waves felt relentless, Sunday would find you getting a series of waves one after another and then maybe nothing for a few minutes, then rinse, repeat, etc.

Good fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Was at Fanore today and Saturday - saturday was very rough, strong currents and had a bitch of a time getting out past the breaking waves. Today was much nicer, plenty of swell, lots of fun.

Just heard in the news a body was recovered at Lahinch today, anyone hear anything about this? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

cornbb wrote:
    Just heard in the news a body was recovered at Lahinch today, anyone hear anything about this? :(

I heard something briefly from a girl in a petrol station on the way back up to Dublin today. Something along the lines of two lads went in at night (not sure ift hey were surfing or just messing about in the water). One came out, one didn't unfortunately

Ya unfortunately its true, apparently a few lads went for a swim at around 5 this morning and they got into some kind of trouble, not exactly sure what happened, maybe they went into shock from the cold, the conditions were pretty good otherwise. One of the lads woke up to see people being dragged out of the water at around 530 but one lad was still missing, I think the helicopter was there at that stage.

Advertisement