Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long does it take an insurance company to pay out

Options
  • 25-07-2007 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Long story short, car hit from behind, other guy liable, €1700 repair estimate. Insured with Quinn (I know, I know, but it's our first year and now we've got our licences we'll probably change when it comes up in a couple of months).

If their assessor agrees with the estimate etc how long on average might it take to get a cheque and get the car repaired - the woman we're dealing with at Quinn has been very helpful and efficent so far but we're hearing a lot of horror stories about them too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Depends on the insurer. I was hit from behind by a guy a few years ago on the friday of a bank holiday weekend. He phoned hibernian on tuesday morning and told them what happened. They rang me about 10 minutes later. The car was in thier repair shop, less than a mile from where I lived at the time, first thing the next morning. There was a rental company on site at the repair shop who provided me with a replacement car and I had my own back within a week. They even touched up a few scratches that had nothing to do with the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I had a claim made against me and it took quinn direct years to pay out

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

alias no.9 wrote:
    Depends on the insurer. I was hit from behind by a guy a few years ago on the friday of a bank holiday weekend. He phoned hibernian on tuesday morning and told them what happened. They rang me about 10 minutes later. The car was in thier repair shop, less than a mile from where I lived at the time, first thing the next morning. There was a rental company on site at the repair shop who provided me with a replacement car and I had my own back within a week. They even touched up a few scratches that had nothing to do with the accident.

And, reading between the lines, you never saw a bill? Pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

rowanh wrote:
    I had a claim made against me and it took quinn direct years to pay out

Quinn paid out for my own policy (fully comp) when I was hit from behind, took a couple of days from when I asked. They then went after the reimbursement in their own time from the other insurers. If there's any dispute over who's responsible, most insurers will drag their heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

unkel wrote:
    And, reading between the lines, you never saw a bill? Pretty impressive.

Correct. I was well impressed with the service. The only complaint I had apart from the annoyance of being hit in the first place the was replacement car. They do a like for like replacement but had no D-segment saloons available so they upgraded me to a zafira. I felt like a prat as a 20-something year old male driving a people carrier with no people. Some ****ing upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well I'm with Quinn too and when my old car was an economic write-off (other party's fault) they didn't want to know insofar as getting the money from the other company. As far as they were concerned, once it wasn't my fault/their problem it was up to me to do everything.

It took me 3/4 weeks of hounding the other company myself and escalating to managers to get it sorted. If I hadn't though I would've been waiting a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

alias no.9 wrote:
    They do a like for like replacement but had no D-segment saloons available so they upgraded me to a zafira. I felt like a prat as a 20-something year old male driving a people carrier with no people. Some ****ing upgrade.

Ugh. Same thing happened to me in Germany last year. Was there for work for 2 weeks and work had booked me a C-segment hatch (Golf/Focus/etc) but they had none left at the airport. Ended up going up and down the autobahn by myself in a poxy Zafira.

Advertisement