Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool's new stadium

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

2 questions:

What will happen to the Shankley Gates & the This Is Anfield sign?

What will the new stadium be called?

Its being discussed over in the other thread.... The new Anfield one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Stky10 wrote:
    They've also got the Hillsborough memorial to move as well.

The memorial is of far more importance to the fans than the gates could ever be. IIRC Parry said that they would discuss the options for the memorial with the families. tbh I'd be surprised if either moved to the new stadium - the memorial will probably be a feature of Anfield Plaza rather than of the new stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

:rolleyes: @ liverpool fans creating needless threads to get their own forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Archimedes wrote:

quite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

Tauren wrote:
    Old Trafford can be extended to 100k (or 96k, not sure) without moving the pitch. The last stand left undone, South i think, at the moment can be extended upwards (and backwards) like the stand opposite. So, you don't have to move thestands away from the pitch.

What is stopping United is the houses and railway line at the back of that stand, though i think moves have been made over the last few years to buy the houses. Just rumours i have heard - also, Ferguson and a few United players in interviews have mentioned 100k as a capacity.

thats true; but you'd want binoculars up on the 3rd tier of the north stand! its ridiculously high. south would have to be the same if they wanted to get to around 100k.

in my opinion, you can't properly watch/enjoy a match from all the way up there! you can only see the pitch; and hardly anything else. when i was last at old trafford, i was unfortunately up there, i couldn't see any of the stretford end or the away fans. took away from the atmosphere a lot.

to have the top tier at a reasonable distance from the pitch, you can't really have more than 60 or 70k i think.

although you could easily argue that a sh*te view is worth it for the experience of supporting your team. i was a neutral spectator at old trafford, and i wouldn't go back if i had to sit in tier 3 of north stand again.

http://www.manutdzone.com/oldtrafford/oldtraffordphotos/northstandviewfrom3rdtier.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Its being discussed over in the other thread.... The new Anfield one..

Yeah, I posted that thread before I saw this one. Seeing as the stadium is being discussed here, I guess this is the place for it. Presumably the other thread will be locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I cant stand these new fancy curved stadiums. Give me a decent square ground that is right ontop of the pitch.

Archimedes wrote:

Never mind a new forum. Reopening a two year old thread thats the most viewed thread ever on Boards, and with the fourth highest posts, would do just fine:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Would like to see a few more pics than just the 3 available. The kop looks impresssive

• Advertisement

will be nice to see some more pics soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Looks class, really excited by the new owners improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Archimedes wrote:
    :rolleyes: Yeah your right only the Liverpool fans would create a thread about their brand new stadium :rolleyes:
    I will point you towards this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055124768 even though you have your thread :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I think what he is saying is do we not have a liverpool thread for general rumours and news. In recent days we have, "liverpools new stadium", henize to liverpool, torres hit or miss, another such and such for liverpool etc...

You don't have to create a new thread for every single thing that happens in the city of Liverpool!!!

Anyway back on topic. The stadium in my opinion looks like a shopping center or a new airport. I can't understand why they are not filling in the corners and going all teh way around. I think its more style than substance. Not taken by it at all. The Emirates is still by far the best in England.

You don't have to create a new thread for every single thing that happens in the city of Liverpool!!!

All the threads have plenty of posts, so obviously people are happy discussing them. If you don't want to read them, don't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

iregk wrote:
    I think what he is saying is do we not have a liverpool thread for general rumours and news. In recent days we have, "liverpools new stadium", henize to liverpool, torres hit or miss, another such and such for liverpool etc...

Anyway back on topic. The stadium in my opinion looks like a shopping center or a new airport. I can't understand why they are not filling in the corners and going all teh way around. I think its more style than substance. Not taken by it at all. The Emirates is still by far the best in England.

i think the emirates is dull as dishwater! boring boring boring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i think the 18,000 seater kop end will be fantastic and should generate a great atmosphere. I can just imagine one of the great european nights at the new anfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

Looks interesting, I like the way the 'new kop' is done. Would like to see some better pics of it though. Excited none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,404 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

iregk wrote:

The Emirates is just your standard identikit modern stadium. It looks exactly like the city of Manchester, Stadium of Light, Wembley, etc. They all look alike with only capacity and colour of the seats being different. If you took the names off all those stadiums you'd struggle to tell them apart in photos.

Whatever else about it Liverpool's new ground will look unique and will be immediately identifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

personally i like it, beats generic stadium no. 4 (emirates) down in london anyway

take away the thing that looks like half a wagon wheel off the roof of wembley and it would be hard to tell the diff between it and the emirates, generic as **** tbh

Apparently the pitch and first few rows are actually under the ground level of the surrounding area so they could fit the stadium in under the height restrictions in the existing planning permission.

• Advertisement

Apparently the pitch and first few rows are actually under the ground level of the surrounding area so they could fit the stadium in under the height restrictions in the existing planning permission.

Like the Nou Camp so.. Wonder what effect that would have on having a decent level of soil underneath the pitch which will effect the durability of the pitch, and having under pitch heating.

I hope they've taken into account the amount of light the pitch will get as well. We don't need the likes of the San Siro or Amsterdam Arena and having to get them relaid at least once mid season.

Stky10 wrote:
    Like the Nou Camp so.. Wonder what effect that would have on having a decent level of soil underneath the pitch which will effect the durability of the pitch, and having under pitch heating.

I would imagine that the pitch will basically be a giant swimming pool filled with soil and sod on top of that. I seem to recall reading that there will be parking & plant/facilities type stuff under the entire stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I thought the thing looked a bit odd at first but having looked at the pictures a few times I have gotten to like it a lot.
    They should only put in the extra seating if there is demand for them imo, as i think a lot of empty seats could detract from the atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i really like it,i like the fact that its unlike any other stadium in england.the architect was on off the ball last night and he was saying that the 78,000 planning permission could easily be refused.
    Great though that its not a run of the mill old trafford or emirates;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Stky10 wrote:
    I hope they've taken into account the amount of light the pitch will get as well. We don't need the likes of the San Siro or Amsterdam Arena and having to get them relaid at least once mid season.

I think the large amount of glass will make sure that is not a problem. There's even a section over the new kop that is glass roof.

In an extraordinary twist from his uncertain mood two months ago, Benitez declared the arena images an emblem of the forward thinking he’s been demanding from the club since he joined.

“I’d like to lead the team into the new stadium and sit in the dug-out. If it’s possible, like Sir Alex Ferguson, maybe I will stay at one club for 20 years,” said the manager.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2007/07/26/peter-crouch-eyes-up-bright-future-at-liverpool-100252-19522769/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

The artists impression of the stadium in that link is far better than the actual pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

This is the group that are the architects
    http://www.hksinc.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

iregk wrote:
    Not starting a row mate but we don't have a liverpool thread for general rumours and news. That is why all these threads are here as we have nowhere else to put them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Those new pictures make it look a lot prettier.

Somebody in work today said it looked like Tesco in Clarehall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Really starting to grow on me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Bumper work with the pics RE*AC*TOR. Stadium looks a hell of a lot better in those than the ones released by Liverpool. Looking at those makes me think this will be a world class stadium.

I just dont understand how they could only release 3 pi$$ poor quality pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I agree the stadium looks much better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Not sure which external photos relate to which sounds - but if the Kop is under the end that has the big shiney curved roof structure, then I'm predicting some fantastic acoustics from it, that and 18,000 fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i think so p.pete, again its really growing on me. wasn't that keen at first looked a bit disjointed but in the newer pics it looks amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sorry if this has been raised before but is there a reason Liverpool and Everton don't just pool their money and build one stadium?

Maybe an 80,000 seater, much like Inter Milan and AC Milan do.

From a business perspective it makes sense. Yes, I know die hard fans will ridicule this suggestion but was this option even looked at?
    AFAIK, Anfield and Goodison are extremly close so it could have been done if they wanted it.

Maybe a case of the head says yes but the heart say no

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote:
    Sorry if this has been raised before but is there a reason Liverpool and Everton don't just pool their money and build one stadium?

Maybe an 80,000 seater, much like Inter Milan and AC Milan do.

From a business perspective it makes sense. Yes, I know die hard fans will ridicule this suggestion but was this option even looked at?
    AFAIK, Anfield and Goodison are extremly close so it could have been done if they wanted it.

Maybe a case of the head says yes but the heart say no

Yes they are extremely close to each other right now - at opposite ends of Stanley park.

Both clubs have ruled out ground sharing although I understand Everton were slightly more open to the idea (but am open to correction on that). The idea was actively encouraged by some members of Liverpools city council, etc.. Both clubs have unveiled pictures of their proposed new stadiums with Everton considering a move away from the area out to Kirby. I believe they are currently running a survey or similar amongst supporters to find out levels of support for such a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Parry told the new owners that if ground sharing was to be considered he'd tender his resignation. (I'm sure there's those who'd say that's not all that bad a thing however...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm pretty sure the San Siro is actually owned by the city and Inter and AC rent it out from them. It's done like this because neither of them could afford a stadium like that on their own. It would make some sense, but it does lead to complications aswell.

Advertisement