Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From music industry to primary teaching?

Options
  • 25-07-2007 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Hi all :)

I am currently working in the music industry and dislike it. I really want to do primary teaching (and have done since I was 18 but was talked out of it with some bad advice!).

Anyway, like many others, I have to resit my LC Irish and do honours. And will hopefully do this starting this September. I then want to apply for Hibernia starting in Oct 08.

I have a Hons Degree (a BA in Music Industry Management). As this has NOTHING to do with teaching do you think this will affect my chances of being accepted for the HDip with Hibernia?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

RAIN wrote:
    Hi all :)

I am currently working in the music industry and dislike it. I really want to do primary teaching (and have done since I was 18 but was talked out of it with some bad advice!).

Anyway, like many others, I have to resit my LC Irish and do honours. And will hopefully do this starting this September. I then want to apply for Hibernia starting in Oct 08.

I have a Hons Degree (a BA in Music Industry Management). As this has NOTHING to do with teaching do you think this will affect my chances of being accepted for the HDip with Hibernia?

Thanks in advance :)

Thats fantastic experience to be bringing into a classroom and would light up the music curriculum in a school... Bring it on!

Imagine the christmas concert in your school?? Crikey! It'd be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

The degree wasn't about music itself, it was about the business of the music industry so I'm not too sure what I could bring to the classroom with that! :D

RAIN wrote:
    The degree wasn't about music itself, it was about the business of the music industry so I'm not too sure what I could bring to the classroom with that! :D

Performing -> Drama
    Music -> Music

C'mon.. help me out here! I'f I'm on the board of interviewers you need to be telling me why you're fabulous, not the other way around!! :D

Well I am fabulous so I should get the job :)

So basically just because I have done this type of degree it won't hinder my chances anyway?

Oh and another question for your Trotter seeing as you are the fountain of knowledge round these parts....

I have read a lot of posts here and some people have mentioned subbing and working as sub teachers while doing their LC Hons Irish or Hibernia course. Now correct me if I'm completely wrong, but does this mean that someone like myself with no experience or education in teaching can apply to primary schools for subbing work, thus increasing my chances of getting accepted to do the Hibernia course?

I must be wrong about this? It doesn't seem right?

• Advertisement

RAIN wrote:
    Oh and another question for your Trotter seeing as you are the fountain of knowledge round these parts....

I have read a lot of posts here and some people have mentioned subbing and working as sub teachers while doing their LC Hons Irish or Hibernia course. Now correct me if I'm completely wrong, but does this mean that someone like myself with no experience or education in teaching can apply to primary schools for subbing work, thus increasing my chances of getting accepted to do the Hibernia course?

I must be wrong about this? It doesn't seem right?

Yep.. I've been subbing since 2004 with my BSc. in Computing. You get an unqualified rate of pay which is a a lot less than the daily subbing rate for someone with a teaching qualification though.

To get a few days here and there, you need to go talk to as many school principals as you can and tell them you're trying to get some experience in the classroom. Gradually, you'll build up a network of principals that trust you and the number of days you get will increase.

Thats all presuming you give up your job and commit to finding sub work. You might be lucky to get 1 day a week at first. It took me 2 years to get regular subbing in the same 3 or 4 schools.

I'd recommend you do some subbing at secondary too because all teaching experience is relevant and it will help you earn a few bob at the same time.

Your degree wont hinder you at all once you sell it the right way! Find ways of showing how its going to help a school.. Thats what I did.

God, I never knew that could be done. It is definitely something to think about (especially since I would have to give up my job and income at the moment to do it).

And how are you finding the course yourself? Is it going well for you?

RAIN wrote:
    God, I never knew that could be done. It is definitely something to think about (especially since I would have to give up my job and income at the moment to do it).

And how are you finding the course yourself? Is it going well for you?

I'm almost finished.. just studying for my exams in 2 weeks. I enjoyed it.. It was hard, time consuming and at times it drove me mad! I've met some fantastic people through it though. Dont be dissuaded by the whole "internet" aspect of it. Yes you do online lectures but there's a huge amount of onsite classes too.

Oh good for you!

Would you recommend stopping work while doing it? Perhaps, in the interview suggest that I wont have done any subbing to that point but if I get the course I will be leaving full time employment to study and sub?

RAIN wrote:
    Oh good for you!

Would you recommend stopping work while doing it? Perhaps, in the interview suggest that I wont have done any subbing to that point but if I get the course I will be leaving full time employment to study and sub?

I'd take a couple of weeks off work in september and find a school thats willing to let you assist the teacher for a couple of weeks. This will show the interview panel that you're not flying blind into a career you know nothing about and shows a level of commitment to the idea.

Many of my fellow Hibernias stayed in their jobs for the first half of the course and then went subbing.

• Advertisement

That sounds like a plan!

Another question (sorry!), what are the hours of study like? I mean, on average how many hours per week do you spend online with the online lectures etc? And do you spend many weekends doing face to face classes?

RAIN wrote:
    That sounds like a plan!

Another question (sorry!), what are the hours of study like? I mean, on average how many hours per week do you spend online with the online lectures etc? And do you spend many weekends doing face to face classes?

Plan for 2 online lectures a week, 1 hour each, plus 10+ hours a week of your own work, depending on assignments etc. Also plan to be busy from 9-5 (exclusing travel) every second saturday on average.

Trotter - you have answered so many questions I have had floating around in my head in one afternoon! Thanks a million, really appreciate it. No doubt I'll have more questions, but in the mean time Good Luck with the studying over the next two weeks and with the exams - Lindsey.

RAIN wrote:
    Trotter - you have answered so many questions I have had floating around in my head in one afternoon! Thanks a million, really appreciate it. No doubt I'll have more questions, but in the mean time Good Luck with the studying over the next two weeks and with the exams - Lindsey.

No problem at all Lindsey! Feel free to PM me if you've any other questions. I'm kinda 3 years ahead of you on the exact same track so I should be able to put you in the right direction.

Advertisement