Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fog Light Question

Options
  • 25-07-2007 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

**not a rant**

Anyway , I just notice my cars front fog lights dont seem to be working ... any idea what could be wrong? thnks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

For openers, check the bulbs and the fuse. If the problem still persists then you'll need a proper diagnosis with a multimeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Same happened me. It turned out to be bulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

oh sorry, should have mentioned Bulbs are fine (i only checked one but makes no difference) and fuse is fine too. Thats all the trouble shooting i have done.

Anybody any advice how/ Where to get this sorted? ..with "mutlimeter" ... dont think i have one or know how to use one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I won't help unless you swear to me that you only use your fog lamps in fog. No stupid fog lamps in the daytime or evening. God, its so pig-ignorant.

Rant over, you may have a snap in the power lead to you lamps. A multimeter would be very useful. If you know any electricians, you could borrow one (borrowing an electrician might also be good!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

While this topic is up. Are some of the new fog lights more blinding then the old.
    Lots of 06-07 cars blinding me as I drive around but older cars with idiot drivers don't seem to blind me as much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Check all the fuses... I've noticed in a few older cars that one blown fuse can have knock-on effects on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

maoleary wrote:
    I won't help unless you swear to me that you only use your fog lamps in fog. No stupid fog lamps in the daytime or evening. God, its so pig-ignorant.

But it makes their punto look "Cooler" ;)

lafors wrote:
    But it makes their punto look "Cooler" ;)

My God......you're right.....how could I have been so blind!!!!:eek:

maoleary wrote:
    My God......you're right.....how could I have been so blind!!!!:eek:

Because they had their fog lights on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You say you have checked a bulb - it may appear to be ok, but have you verified that it is actually working? I've seen many bulbs that looked ok that were still blown. (no black spots, no apparrent break in the filament).

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote:
    You say you have checked a bulb - it may appear to be ok, but have you verified that it is actually working? I've seen many bulbs that looked ok that were still blown. (no black spots, no apparrent break in the filament).

hmmm , i'll try replace it with another bulb just to be 100% ! Thanks for the advise.

on a sidenote.. how does this "multometer" work? .... do i just jab the fog light with it??!! lol

... i may be able to get my hands on one!

- and no i dont use them to look cool , Ive had the car nearly 2 months and only noticed now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

tuxy wrote:
    While this topic is up. Are some of the new fog lights more blinding then the old.
    Lots of 06-07 cars blinding me as I drive around but older cars with idiot drivers don't seem to blind me as much.

Hella are currently selling front fog lights and calling them " Daytime Running Lights", so thats what I use now, my day time running lights....:D

lafors wrote:
    Because they had their fog lights on ;)

Sir, you have done me a great service. I was blind, but now I see.

Really though, are people even aware they're blinding everyone with these stupid things?

maoleary wrote:
    Sir, you have done me a great service. I was blind, but now I see.

Really though, are people even aware they're blinding everyone with these stupid things?

I dunno, it never bothers me, I don't think there bad, defo not as bad as suv/jeeps with their normal lights on, they are really annoying.

OP a multimeter can check voltage, current, and resistance. Used to fault find mainly. Here's the wiki page...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimeter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Darven

for a second there i thought people didnt realise bulbs tend to need to be replaced, anyhow.

i think people who drive with fogs or spots or parks etc on can be a lot more useful than people with nothing. given some of the horrendous rain we have got when you get people coming out of the mist a few feet in front of you with not so much as the luck of a break light to show them up, give me people driving with lights on anyday! helps when driving into sun as well and you cant see oncoming traffic i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

My fog lights went working an my promera. After changing both bulbs and checking every fuse in the car it tured out to be the wires on the stalk had come apart - a bot of solder sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Someone has to ask the obvious question. Are your dipped headlights on when you check? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Also are you sure they are fog lights? What type of car is it? Some makes have driving lights that only come on when the full beams are on.

sesswhat wrote:
    Someone has to ask the obvious question. Are your dipped headlights on when you check? :D

yes dipped lights are on when i checked! im not stupid u know! :P

no theyre not "driving lights" either

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dipped headlight's don't usually have to be on for front fogs to work, just sidelights

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    dipped headlight's don't usually have to be on for front fogs to work, just sidelights

true dat

took the bulb out and connected it directly to the battery ..works fine so blown bulbs is definitely outta the question ..damn :(

do you think an electrician would be able to help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

C_Breeze wrote:
    true dat

took the bulb out and connected it directly to the battery ..works fine so blown bulbs is definitely outta the question ..damn :(

do you think an electrician would be able to help?

What type of car is it??

Its a Mazda MX-3!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

On topic please folks or there will be severe bannings. We don't do fog light rants (anymore). See the charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

unkel wrote:
    On topic please folks or there will be severe bannings. We don't do fog light rants (anymore). See the charter

But if we don't rant about it the rage builds up! It's not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

C_Breeze wrote:
    - and no i dont use them to look cool , Ive had the car nearly 2 months and only noticed now

Well if you have gone 2 months without using them then you probably will never use them, so you won't need to go to the bother of spending time and money getting them fixed, right?

They are useless things anyway, the majority of cars manage fine without them so there should be no need for them at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Did you check to see if the relay was OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Mustangs wrote:
    Well if you have gone 2 months without using them then you probably will never use them, so you won't need to go to the bother of spending time and money getting them fixed, right?

They are useless things anyway, the majority of cars manage fine without them so there should be no need for them at all!

That the UK import you're selling, and hence the reason you'd like to get them working? (did you manage to sell that Civic VTI-S?).
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=26141&cat=2

If not the fuse, it'll be either the switch or the relay. The latter will most likely be under the dash, near the fuseboard, but it could be under the bonnet either.

JHMEG wrote:
    That the UK import you're selling, and hence the reason you'd like to get them working? (did you manage to sell that Civic VTI-S?).
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=26141&cat=2

If not the fuse, it'll be either the switch or the relay. The latter will most likely be under the dash, near the fuseboard, but it could be under the bonnet either.

[I'm tempted to bring up the irony that you don't know what a multimeter is, but yet have fitted after-market very high voltage HIDs to cars, but I won't]

Yeah thats the one, well no not really ... i just like to have everything on my cars working as they should - while i own them anyway (bit of a perfectionist)

Civic still for sale but its tough to shift on a UK reg ..so will prob sell it when its vrt'd (dont mind tho becuase its a bit of blast anyway)

I'll check the switch next to see if thats the problem.

[how's that ironic, ive never needed a mutlimeter to fit Hid's and they're not excatly the hardest thing in the world to fit , its one step more than a regular light bulb! - why are u so hung up on that?]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

colm_mcm wrote:

Nevertheless, if they are working, they will work with the dipped headlights on so why not cover all possible scenarios?

No offence to OP by the way. You may check everything before posting here but the same can't be said for everyone.

Any success anyway?

Advertisement