Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working abroad trip

• 25-07-2007 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have begun planning a travel abroad for 12months+ with the girlfriend. THe plan is to leave about May/June next year but i think it is essential to begin planning now. We did europe last year for 5 weeks, just a rally holiday thing and now want to explore the rest of the world.

I want to see some of asia and SE asia, china, vietnam, lao and head up to cambodia etc. I would also love some northern africa.

I have been to Oz and I would like to return to work too. I know the implications for Visa's etc but has anybody been on this kind of trip?

Spend maybe three months working in one place, travel for a few months, then stop for 3 months again.

What can you guys recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hi there,

You might find that doing all that stopping/starting won't be very economical. I'd say head over to Oz at the beginning of the trip, then you'll know how you're sorted financially before you start travelling.

As for the travelling, i've been to all the countries you've mentioned and it was FAB! China especially was a nice surprise, try to make it to the Yunnan and Szechuan provinces, so much fun, so beautiful and the food is great! You can by cheap internal flights too (for about the same cost as a soft sleeper train ticket on www.elong.com, book only a few weeks in advance but do it from within the country for the best prices). If you're going to see the Great Wall, then DON'T go to the touristy/fake Badaling. You can do an amazing 10km hike from Jinshangling to Simitai, very quiet and fab views. You can book this trip through most hostels and guesthouses.

Malaysia was amazing too if you can fit it in. Borneo is full of interesting wildlife, and you can get really cheap flights to Kuching from Singapore or Kuala Lumpur.

Lao is definitely worth a few weeks too, was very hot when we were there, but I think Luang Prebang still remains one of my favourite cities/towns from the entire trip.

Hope that helps! I'm very jealous :)

Advertisement