Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Garcia (Javi) for Liverpool?

• 25-07-2007 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

my god, could we possibly need or want another defensive midfielder?

Garcia contemplates Liverpool switch
    July 25, 2007

Javi Garcia has confirmed he is considering joining Liverpool.

The 20-year-old defensive midfielder has spent the last five seasons at Real Madrid but has been unable to secure a place in the starting line-up.

Real are keen for Garcia to sign a new deal at the Bernabeu, but Liverpool are understood to be leading the chase for his signature.

"My colours are Real Madrid but if it's impossible to play there then England is a sensational country and Liverpool is a historic club," Garcia is quoted in the Daily Mirror.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There is very little logic to this, unless somebody is being sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Sissoko seems the weakest link, also not entirely sure of mascherano's contract status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Think Momo will be sold next summer

As far as i know with Mascherano, Liverpool don't actually have him on loan, they have purchased him. Except only on a short term deal (18 months) with the option to buy (or renew, watever way you wanna put it) at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Never heard of him tbh. But to attack on all fronts it looks like Rafa is gonna have seperate teams for each competition. i dunno....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Apparently he played very well in the U-20 World Cup, so he's a decent prospect.

No point in signing him though and sticking him in the reserves, so I could well imagine him being loaned out to Bolton/Wigan etc if we do sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

He's Luis cousin - we need him so we can keep singing the Garcia song ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Except only on a short term deal (18 months) with the option to buy (or renew, watever way you wanna put it) at the end.
    So, he is on loan then...

As far as i know with Mascherano, Liverpool don't actually have him on loan, they have purchased him. Except only on a short term deal (18 months) with the option to buy (or renew, watever way you wanna put it) at the end.

Which if you think about it would make it closer to a lease rather than a purchase or a loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i would say we wont keep masch which would be a massive mistake. imho anyone of alonso/gerrard/momo/masch would get into the first XI of 18/19 prem teams it unrealistic that we can keep them all happy especially if Lucas is as good as everyone says.

• Advertisement

zing wrote:
    He's Luis cousin - we need him so we can keep singing the Garcia song ;)

Except he's not 5'7'' or even 5'11'' which would still rhyme, but instead 6'1''.

Wouldn't quite have the same ring to it would it?

Stky10 wrote:
    Except he's not 5'7'' or even 5'11'' which would still rhyme, but instead 6'1''.

Wouldn't quite have the same ring to it would it?

Aren't we allowed some artistic license ? :p

zing wrote:
    Aren't we allowed some artistic license ? :p

Ah yeah, like little luis was only 5'6'', so I'm sure 5'11'' could easily be used without anyone getting into a strop over it. Whether Javi plays football from heaven or is possibly a teetotaller who wouldn't touch Sangria though might be taking a liberty :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Defo signing this guy to cover ourselves in case there is probs with Mascherano I think.

SofaKing wrote:
    So, he is on loan then...

No . . . . . . Liverpool have bought him.

Is Torres on loan for 6 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I looked into this a while ago and couldn't find any conclusive reports on it.
    Either he is on loan for 18 months, with an option to purchase (estimated at around 15 million) [which would be this summer]
    OR
    he is bought for 1.5 million on an 18 month deal. As in, MSI still own him, but they've sold the registration to him for 18 months. I don't know why you'd do this, except maybe to get around the 3rd party ownership or something, not sure.

Either way, this summer, Liverpool can buy him. Whether it's a pre-agreed price or not is unclear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No . . . . . . Liverpool have bought him.

Is Torres on loan for 6 years?
    At the end of the six years do you have to pay Atletico 20odd million to kep him?

See, there is a difference.

I'd say it is a lease.

(btw - you CAN pay to loan players, you just pay a nominal fee, nothing close to the transfer value)

True, my bad.

He still ain't going to Utd though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tauren wrote:
    At the end of the six years do you have to pay Atletico 20odd million to kep him?

See, there is a difference.

I'd say it is a lease.

(btw - you CAN pay to loan players, you just pay a nominal fee, nothing close to the transfer value)

that is the new rumour though, that we do own him and that he's totally done with West ham/MSI, that we bought him on an agreed 18month contract (makes perfect sense under the circumstances with him having a torrid time in england to that point, short contract suited both parties), so he will become a free agent at the end of this summer if him and pool dont agree a new contract. Im sure they will though, he looks to be back to his pre=WH form both for club and country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

~Rebel~ wrote:
    that is the new rumour though, that we do own him and that he's totally done with West ham/MSI, that we bought him on an agreed 18month contract (makes perfect sense under the circumstances with him having a torrid time in england to that point, short contract suited both parties), so he will become a free agent at the end of this summer if him and pool dont agree a new contract. Im sure they will though, he looks to be back to his pre=WH form both for club and country.
    i suppose we won't really know til the summer, and as liverpool are private and do not have to disclose their transfer deals, we might never know the full story or the full fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The majority of reports that I have read are that he was got on an 18 month load with the option to buy for 10million sterling at the end. There was a rumour that Liverpool have exercised this option already as few months back. Either way, they are certainly not resting on their laurels and making sure they have enough options across the park in case a larger club tries to force our hand on a sale or a players decides to hold us to ransome. As a club, we need to make sure that we have no more Owen, Gerard or McMananaman fiascos.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The majority of reports that I have read are that he was got on an 18 month load with the option to buy for 10million sterling at the end. There was a rumour that Liverpool have exercised this option already as few months back. Either way, they are certainly not resting on their laurels and making sure they have enough options across the park in case a larger club tries to force our hand on a sale or a players decides to hold us to ransome. As a club, we need to make sure that we have no more Owen, Gerard or McMananaman fiascos.

Yeah 18 month loan with first option on a 10-12mill price tag is what it is from all reports.
    I think Rafa is thinking ahead for teams for the future aswell which is a good sign as it shows he wants to be there for a long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

18mth loan with option to buy is what i have heard but i heard his price is around £17m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I reckon our formation next season will be something like:

Reina
    Carragher-Agger
    Gerrard-Lucas-Alonso-Macherano-Garcia-Sissoko-Bennayoun
    Torres

We also narrowly missed out on another defensive midfielder: the Valencia bound "Sunny' Stephen.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/24072007/4/sunny-reveals-reds-offer.html

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

We also narrowly missed out on another defensive midfielder: the Valencia bound "Sunny' Stephen.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/24072007/4/sunny-reveals-reds-offer.html

thank god!

Never mind a team or carraghers we could field a team of defensive midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Reina
    Carragher-Agger
    Torres

That formation mightnt be that bad. In theory the ball should never come back into our half with all that cover, so Agger and Carra could go sup tea on the sideline with Pepe. Unless of course, Agger wants to come forward and play up front with Torres seeing as he likes to score a few goals every now and then. Quick send it to Rafa, It's a flawless plan. Unless they play the long ball over us. Then we're ****ed!

Guess we're never gonna buy a much needed winger then?

On a side note: How are we supposed to keep track of all these threads? They're all over the main forum page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Sunny will be a huge player in years to come, you heard it here. He has immense potential, could easily eclipse the likes of Vieira and Makelele if he fulfills it.

I can't say I've seen any Segunda Division games to judge. I doubt he'll be get many games for Valencia with Albelda and Baraja hopefully fully fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Reina
    Carragher-Agger
    Torres

All I can say is LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Archimedes wrote:
    Sunny will be a huge player in years to come, you heard it here. He has immense potential, could easily eclipse the likes of Vieira and Makelele if he fulfills it.

you play football manager too then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd be willing to predict he doesn't eclipse Viera

World Cup Winner & Runners Up, Euro Championships Winner, 3 Premierships, 4 FA Cups and a Scudetto or 2.

Advertisement