Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

is my car stereo working?

Options
  • 25-07-2007 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

hi all.

i have a 96 almera, and had an old phillips cassette player in it that - radio worked, but not cassettes.

i recently bought a refurbed goodmans cd player with aux in from luzerntech, reputable seller on ebay.

i just got it changed at a local garage and now im having some weird issues.

when i turn on the car, the stereo comes on, with a noise like its trying to eject a cd or run the cd. (theres no cd in it). pressing power button makes no difference and it will cut out (go off) after about 10 seconds. only turning off the car and back on will let it do that again, else it stays off

yesterday it was installed, did that after installation but the guy said cd he tried actually worked. i left bcause it was late, and the unit actually worked on the drive back (from drogheda to dublin) and i could get radio reception.

however turning the car off made the clock go back to 00:00. but it worked again (went shopping tesco that day).

this morning however, its only doing the on thing that is, turn on car, cd noise, then it goes off.

is the problem with the stereo or the guys who installed it?i went back today and he is saying the radio isnt working, not the installation.

i asked him about red and yellow wires and he said the unit only had big plugs that one just had to connect....

i have another goodmans older stereo unit that i ordered by mistake some time back, should i let them try to install that one instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

It sounds to me like it's connected to the switched rather than the live earth (I think I've got that the right way around!). Did the Goodman's come with an ISO adaptor, and does the car have an ISO harness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

what does ISO adapter/harness mean?id have thought if there is that big black square plug, it would just fit into that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ISO connectors look like this > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/ISO_connectors_for_head_unit_in_car.JPG/800px-ISO_connectors_for_head_unit_in_car.JPG

Sometimes both connectors come in one sigle block.

It sounds to me like the 12VDC+ and the 12VDC+(IGN) wires are not correctly connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

crosstownk wrote:
    It sounds to me like the 12VDC+ and the 12VDC+(IGN) wires are not correctly connected.

how would u recognise those 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's hard to say - different stereo manufacturers use different colour codes. Try Google your stereo make and model code and see if there is a manual that you can download.

• Advertisement
Advertisement