Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed thread - reasoning sought.

Options
  • 25-07-2007 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭

Hi.

One of my threads was closed by moderator 'seamus'.
    As I had previously read the forum charter and I don't have a notion why it has been closed I decided to use the recommended method (as per the CHARTER!) to elicit a response...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055125211

So, seamus, can you explain the closure?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Have you sent him a PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No because the charter says to do either.
    I've PM'd him the link to this thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Howdy,

Legal advice cannot be given or sought on the Legal Discussion forum as per the charter. I went on a bit of a locking spree as I'd gotten a bit lazy over the last couple of days.

While you were initially on the edge of asking directly for advice, eventually you did.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

You were seeking legal advice, hence the closure. You can also PM the mod directly as it may get a quicker response than here.

/EDIT Damn, he's fast ^^

OK.

I don't really understand how you can have a legal forum, but not give plain advice.
    In short what I would have preferred had happened was that I was informed about my mistake and helped to rectify it. Is that not a better approach?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

10-10-20 wrote:
    what I would have preferred had happened was that I was informed about my mistake and helped to rectify it. Is that not a better approach?

You've got your sought explaination. I'd leave it there if I were you. People don't like being told what to do when things work perfectly fine as they are.

And I don't like intransigence. Compromise is an option.

To quote Ariel and Will Durant: "Education is the transmission of civilization."

Close this thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

10-10-20 wrote:
    I don't really understand how you can have a legal forum, but not give plain advice.
    Legal *Discussion*. We can't allow legal advice to be sought or given for a myriad of reasons. The most of basic of which is to protect boards.ie from legal action.
    In short what I would have preferred had happened was that I was informed about my mistake and helped to rectify it. Is that not a better approach?
    I have in fact been meaning to edit the charter to include a link to the other sticky thread on that forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054893130
    That post basically shows the right way to go about asking question.

As I explained, I just went on a locking spree and wasn't all that interested in holding people's hands. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

If you need legal advice go to a solicitor.

The legal discussion page is for legal discussion.

If you get bad advice there and act on it you could sue boards (or the owners of boards) and you might win. In practise this could close boards.

Solicitors and Barristers carry malpractice insurance. Boards doesn't.

If you want to talk about the law use the discussion page. If you need legal advice see a lawyer and pay him.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

10-10-20 wrote:

Before it desends into craziness? I doubt it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

10-10-20 wrote:
    OK.

What's to stop me giving you legal advice that is completely wrong, and then you suing me/boards? Or for that matter some law student giving advice that is wrong(or right for that matter) and being reported for practising law without a license.

As I understand the law, what with me having as much of a clue as 'that guy from the pub', the situation is clear and no judge would ever side against you in this matter, or my name aint Kavanagh Q.C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Boston wrote:
    What's to stop me giving you legal advice that is completely wrong, and then you suing me/boards? Or for that matter some law student giving advice that is wrong(or right for that matter) and being reported for practising law without a license.

As I understand the law, what with me having as much of a clue as 'that guy from the pub', the situation is clear and no judge would ever side against you in this matter, or my name aint Kavanagh Q.C.

Boston <3's boards :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

10-10-20 wrote:
    Welcome to Feedback.
    Ever seen a cat?

I love you merc I want your babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Boston wrote:
    I love you merc I want your babies.

Every one here thinks your dead smart and totally likeable.

Well done.

Feel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I want your pet rabbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm going to wait untill this goes to page two before I introduce cats. Also, the OP has asked for the thread to be closed, and cats usually help cause thread closure.

Thanks boys.
    I know what you are saying, but there is a line between advice and legal guidance.
    I already have a solicitor, I'm certainly not paying another one. They've cost me €7500 already.

Enough from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Tbh 10-10-20 the only people who would be able to help you (i.e lawyers or maybe legal students) are the people who know they can't give advice or shouldn't give it. Any lawyer worth his salt will never give serious advice to a friend in a social context because he knows the liability he is open to. The same applies to here, if not for the person giving the advice but boards for hosting the content. Therefore the people who are giving you advice are probably the people you don't want advice from i.e. joe public. Even if you don't sue boards for the bad advice it could cost you a lot in extra lawyer fees.

The rule protects both yourself and boards.

The purpose of the board is for discussing legal developments, cases or education.

Every one here thinks your dead smart and totally likeable.

Wait, Even YOUR MA? deadly buzz.

• Advertisement
Advertisement