Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Superthreads Thread on Soccer Forum

Options
  • 25-07-2007 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Link

Is it OK to discuss this here then?

I just wonder if T4TF could copy my deleted posts over to this thread?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If this is allowed here, I would like my deleted post copied here also. Who would have though a suggestion would get such a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I have opened a poll on soccer. I am trying to get a feel for whether the forum feels superthreads are a good idea or not.

A discussion will take place later on how they will be run if people still think that they are a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Why not PM T4TF and ask him?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I have opened a poll on soccer. I am trying to get a feel for whether the forum feels superthreads are a good idea or not.

A discussion will take place later on how they will be run if people still think that they are a good idea.

Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why not PM T4TF and ask him?

I did :)

OK fair enough T4TF, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Would it not have been a good idea to do the poll before locking the liverpool thread? Locking it without any discussion with the poster then starting a poll about superthreads ignoring the subforums options seems ridiculous to me. Especially when apparently it was the cheek of some users asking for a subforum that prompted the threadlock and the 'poll'

Perhaps people would like to discuss the different options available, not be confined to what one individual thinks are the options, the same individual who then deletes any discussion that people try to have.

smashey wrote:
    If this is allowed here, I would like my deleted post copied here also. Who would have though a suggestion would get such a response?

Apparently you can suggest and/or discuss things only when told to :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

"all right, all right, calm down, calm down"

Two points:
    1: The thread was getting spammier by the day, the poll and the thread would probably have encouraged this.

2. Boards.ie and the soccer forum are not operated as a democracy. They're operated (from the mods point of view) in the best interest of the forum and boards.ie. The subforum idea has been looked at again and again since the soccer forum was born. In the meantime, we've given the forum users the chance to express their opinion on segregated posting via the poll.

3. We know some pool fans want a subforum, we don't need a poll to figure that out.

@psi, cmon, can you not see that there is something fishy going on here? If it is all about finding out what peoples opinions are why not let people discuss things on the poll thread. Saying, vote first, discuss later, if we say so, how is that in the best interests of the forum?

Did all the soccer mods get together and decide that the wording
    "Yes, I am happy to trawl through meandering conversations/random whispers to find out what I want"

was a valid one?

It's clearly an attempt to influence the way people vote.

If the subforum option was there you would have found out the whole soccer forums opinions on subfora in general, which would seem like a good thing to find out? People can only vote once so there would be no way to skew the results. Since it was that subforum request that prompted all this, it would seem like the reasonable and mature thing to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

copacetic wrote:
    @psi, cmon, can you not see that there is something fishy going on here? If it is all about finding out what peoples opinions are why not let people discuss things on the poll thread. Saying, vote first, discuss later, if we say so, how is that in the best interests of the forum?

I would point out that I made a post quite publically saying that I would address the issue directly and get back to everyone. In the mean time, my offer of effort was met with complete ignorance and, what now, three threads on the subject?

This makes me very much uninclined to act on anyones behalf or support anyone complaining about their views not being heard, seeing as my offer, made in good faith, was thrown back at me.
    Did all the soccer mods get together and decide that the wording
    "Yes, I am happy to trawl through meandering conversations/random whispers to find out what I want"

was a valid one?
    No, but the mod who did is a liverpool fan, so its hardly anti-liverpool bias.
    It's clearly an attempt to influence the way people vote.
    You think people are that dumb?
    If the subforum option was there you would have found out the whole soccer forums opinions on subfora in general, which would seem like a good thing to find out? People can only vote once so there would be no way to skew the results. Since it was that subforum request that prompted all this, it would seem like the reasonable and mature thing to do?

You do realise, that this poll is an opinion poll, its not going to be definitive or get anything granted?

We value your opinion, but we don't have to act on it.

I'm pretty sure I know the majority of the forums opinion on specific team fora.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If there's a poll it should be "Do you want a sub-forum"?, not "do you want a superthread"?

Who wanted that?

psi wrote:
    I would point out that I made a post quite publically saying that I would address the issue directly and get back to everyone. In the mean time, my offer of effort was met with complete ignorance and, what now, three threads on the subject?

This makes me very much uninclined to act on anyones behalf or support anyone complaining about their views not being heard, seeing as my offer, made in good faith, was thrown back at me.

Well I'm not sure what you mean here, I haven't seen your post obviously.
    TBH I'm at a loss at the attitude of the soccer mods on all this and never intended to get involved as it is clearly pointless and certainly haven't started any threads on it. More fool me I guess.

I see there is now allegations that a concerted effort is being made by liverpool fans to distort the 'trial' by a PM campaign. (despite the threat against it)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53649895&postcount=15

Is there any evidence if this? I certainly have not sent or gotten any PMs on it. Is this allegation against me?
    No, but the mod who did is a liverpool fan, so its hardly anti-liverpool bias.

I never said it was, did I? I don't think it's anti anyone bias, it just happens it was liverpool
    fans who started the subforum request, it was posts on that request that were used as
    the excuse for closing the superthread, wasn't it? I just think it is poor behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

What I dont understand is why the thread was closed before the poll?

Surely you do a poll first and then you act on the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

thrill wrote:
    What I dont understand is why the thread was closed before the poll?

Surely you do a poll first and then you act on the results.

because the mods are the ultimate authority and whatever they decide goes, question it and you're a trouble maker and all you get are smart ass responses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Admins have the absolute power, not the Mods.

Advertisement