Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the Dealers ?

Options
  • 25-07-2007 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

New user here - hope i'm doing things right. I have owned an Anschutz 1422D .22LR rifle and a Luigi Franchi semi auto single barrel shotgun for over 20 years - and due to working abroad etc etc they are in permanent storage in the attic. I used to do a fair bit of target shooting years ago but havent had the time or opportunity in recent years. Anyway, i would like to go shooting again except the rifle and shotgun mo longer interest me - i would like a go at pistol shooting instead. Three Questions: how do i go about selling the guns, how do i go about finding a pistol club near Dublin and are licences available for pistols these days ? (something like a Gloc or similar medium bore semi automatic)

Cheers

Gaz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Gaz_57 wrote:
    Three Questions: how do i go about selling the guns,
    Sell them privately, sell them to a dealer or have them destroyed. Selling them privately takes a while, but in the meantime you can place them with a dealer for storage and ask him to try and sell them for you as well. That way, you don't have to pay for a licence for them while they're in storage.
    Gaz_57 wrote:
    how do i go about finding a pistol club near Dublin
    There are a couple who would cater for centre fire pistols, such as Hilltop in Newtownmountkennedy and Midlands in Tullamore. Not exactly near Dublin, but Hilltop's only a short drive.
    Gaz_57 wrote:
    and are licences available for pistols these days ? (something like a Gloc or similar medium bore semi automatic)
    Yes, but depends on your district, some don't seem to like 9mm and some are OK. In any event you will need to have a gunsafe and a monitored alarm to get a pistol licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As rrpc has said, sell them, put them in storage with a dealer, or have them destroyed. If you do it quickly (in the next week or two), you'll avoid having to pay for Firearms Certificates for them for another year; if you're certain you have no further use for them, there's no point in throwing more money after all you've wasted on Certificates for the years they've not been used.

To get a Firearms Certificate for a pistol, at the very least you'll need to be a member of a recognised pistol target shooting club; the clubs mentioned would be good places to investigate.

Advertisement