Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile broadband while abroad...help!

Options
  • 25-07-2007 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am going away soon and I need to sort out what way I'll be able to stay online. I NEED to be online about 15-20 hours a week. I dont want to rely on web cafés for this, because not all will have wifi and it'd just be a pain in the ass, as well as expensive. So I'm looking at mobile broadband.

The only problem is, I dont know what countries I'll be going to...I could be going anywhere and everywhere (but mainly Europe for the first while anyway!). Restricting my travel plans to countries that suit my broadband package would kinda suck too...so the more options I have the better.

I was thinking of going with Vodafone, but they only offer a 100mb cap a month. I was tracking my net usage last night and I downloaded nearly 50mb's over 6 hours - so there's no way their 100mb cap is going to be enough.

I'm at a loss as to what to go for. Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

3 let you roam to the UK for free. Beyond that, you're stuck with roaming data charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't think there is an option that will suit you. Data roaming is the only one that will work and that's going to set you back a cool €5 per MB outside the 100MB allowance they give you for €75. If you use 50M in 6 hours, then at 20 hours a week (80 a month) you're costs would be up near €6000 a month. So unless you're loaded, there isn't an option other than internet cafes, WIFI hotspots, or nothing at all.

You might be able to purchase a data package in each of the countries you visit, but I don't know of anyone offering PAYG mobile internet, it all seems to be contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I heard that with 3, you can roam for free in Sweden, Australia, Hong Kong, Denmark, Italy, UK, Indonesia, and Austria, and for other countries you can get a pay as you go data package for use in other countries that aren't listed above?

Advertisement