Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service a new car?

Options
  • 25-07-2007 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

My wife bought a brand new seat ibiza a year ago.
    She has only put about 4k miles on the clock.
    Does it need a service now that its a year old?
    If not, then when?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

It would be best to get it serviced annually, even if you do not cover the service interval mileage.

Has it had its first 'free' service yet (not really a service, but a quick once over)?

Either way, with that mileage, it should be very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

IF it has long life service intervals it won't need a service until 2 years are up. But do check the oil regularly and only top up with oil suitable for long life intervals.

If it doesn't have longlife intervals, then you will need to have it serviced now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

crosstownk wrote:
    IF it has long life service intervals it won't need a service until 2 years are up. But do check the oil regularly and only top up with oil suitable for long life intervals.

If it doesn't have longlife intervals, then you will need to have it serviced now.

What do you mean by longlife intervals?
    I always check the oil for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm not 100% sure with Seats - but I'll give the VW version - which is probably the same. Basically, long life servicing uses oil which is specifically designed to last longer.

Your car should have a service reminder indicator which lights up on the dash to tell you that a service will soon be due. If the car has standard service intervals then that light should be on now, and if not it will appear soon enough. If you have long life intervals set then it will come on sometime in the next year. Check the manual to see where this indicator should appear.

Now the dealer may have put a service reminder sticker on the car somewhere, but you can't take this as gospel, as quite a lot of dealers will fill the sticker out using standard intervals in order to get you into the workshop more often.

The best way is find out is to read the section of the manual that relates to servicing and it should explain how to determin if the car has long life servicing or not. It will explain how you can interpret the options codes (PR Numbers) on the sticker that is on the inside cover of the service schedule.

Advertisement