Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on ac power type for monitor?

Options
  • 25-07-2007 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

got nearly everything today form my new comp except my case lol..

since i got the monitor i decided to hook it up to my old comp and see what the picture is like...when i opened it up i saw it came with a power lead that is round and has two cirlce pins and a socket on it think its german

Product_f90543937b7941b3a0e8e609e40bb028_T3D_PIC.jpg

bit like that ^

anyway i just took the plug that ireland uses and stuck it in instad..and the monitor works perfectly...

but im just afraid if its not ok to use the irish plug with the monitor..and after a while of using it i could wreck it all together...i think it says 10a ~ 220v on both plugs ends that go into the monitor..

anyone pls tell me if its ok?

ps..the 226bw was an [R] panel..at first i tought oh no..but after checking it out..no dead/stuck pixels..no ghosting,no banding and only like 1mm of backlight bleed at bottom of screen on a black background in a very dark room..so really its nothing at all..ill never see it again i suppose as i was just testing it out..so overall im really happy with it :)

just gotta wait for tha pc case to come now :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's fine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

That's grand. I did the same thing with a satellite receiver from Germany. Same a.c mains voltage and refresh rate in Deutschland.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

cheers lads..makes me feel a bit better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

All the plug/cable does is bring power/current/elec from socket to the device. It's then up to the device how to handle the voltage and current (i.e. transform ac to dc, etc).

The only thing you have to look out for is the fuse in the plug. So if the monitor came with a plug with an 3A fuse then don't go putting a 13A fused plug in it's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

well im not too sure on the fuse stuff..what would happen if the german plug came with a 3 amp fuse and our irish one a 13amp one..? or vice versa?

do you think there is a good chance of them being really different like that?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

If you replaced a plug fused with a 3A fuse with a plug with a 13A fuse then you're liable to cause damage if something goes wrong electrically. A 3A fuse will blow at a much lower level than 13A. By the time a 13A fuse blows chances are the damage is done.

Mind you, I would have thought for a monitor the german plug would be fused with a 13A (assuming it has a fuse in it in the first place)

Advertisement