Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying one of these......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

well straight away its a recoil operated semi auto (have one myself benelli super black eagle 2) which can be fussy about loads.

If I was buying a second semi auto I'd try and get a second hand beretta AL390 or AL391 as they are gas operated will cycle any load and shoot very well. Prob have an easier and cheaper time sourcing one across the water or up north

Obviously I have not answered your question there about the above gun but just throwing in my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Vegeta wrote:
    well straight away its a recoil operated semi auto (have one myself benelli super black eagle 2) which can be fussy about loads.

Veg,do you find your benelli fussy?According to all the ad's Iv'e read for them the inertia driven system is meant to be way more reliable than any gas operated one.

just like to get your opinion on that.
    Remmy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Have a benelli super 90 when its not ammo fussy at all will shoot anything but dont think it shoots clay loads 28g or less but havent tried it with them in ages only when new and was told when gun was run it it will shoot them anything else is fine though.

If i was buying a semi i would only consider three or four makes

Benelli - pure class gives no trouble
    Berretta - light recoil
    Baikel - budget still preforms very well

and a old browning if your on a serious budget

my benelli (which is very expensive) is as picky as fcuk about ammo.

was clay shooting monday night and it failed to cycle a few times. bout 3 times in 75 (using 28gram Eley clay carts) shots. The reason I accept this and have not traded it in is because it fits me like a glove and I have not shot as well with any other gun.

I had a beretta semi (Xtremea2) for 2 years and never once had a cycle failure in thousands of rounds.

The beretta was better in other areas aswell, easier to load and lighter recoiling. It was a better gun to use but I shoot better with the benelli.

Take from that what you will but I have first hand experience with both.

If anyone wants to do a side by side comparison between a beretta Xtrema2 (my brother has this now) and a benelli super black eagle 2 then PM me and we'll go for a shot at a few clays.

Agree with psittacosis though Baikel is a very good budget semi auto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

If i was buying a semi i would only consider three or four makesBenelli - pure class gives no trouble, Berretta - light recoil Baikel - budget still preforms very well, and a old browning if your on a serious budget

Unfortunately The Benelli is out of my price range as is the Beretta, Heard three complaints about parts going in the Baikel from two independant gun dealers.

I want to buy new as always so I know its history. Cheers for the replies all advice welcome....

TJ911...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

My Al391 has never once failed using everthing from 28g claybusters to 3"magnum loads and i put thousands of rounds through it in the last 4 years. I've seen secondhand examples in pristine condition on sale for under a grand. IMHO its worth waiting awhile a saving up the extra dough. Before the Beretta i had a Fabarm eurolion 3, and there is just no comparison in qualitity or relieability.

Just my 2 cent:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I have had an AL391 for about 7 years. Not one jam ever and I have shot thousands of rounds from less than 28g up to 3" magnums. Fantastic gun, it will cycle anything. I think that if you can only afford a cheap semi then dont buy one.

I shot a Benelli a few times. It is very light, but fussy.

There is no way I would buy a Stoeger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

veg try 30g loads and see how you get one or even 32g

The mech system needs a bit of a puch to cycle properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I know three people who own stoeger semi's and i havn't heard any complaints only that the camo version shines like a big beacon at nightime
    so its not the best for early ducks.You will pick up a s/h beretta for a few quid more and if you ever did need a part for it you could actually get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Was there not someone selling a S/H beretta A303 on here a few months back?
    They are a good semi-auto and are pretty much the parent of the AL390-391 series.
    I think it was €500 or so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Still toying with the idea of saving a few bob more for a Beretta.... I think I'll pop down to my dealer soon and look at the Steoger (he is ordering one in) and have a feel and then weigh up the odds.... Cheers...

TJ911...

veg try 30g loads and see how you get one or even 32g

The mech system needs a bit of a puch to cycle properly

Isn't 28 grams the most you can shoot at clays or where did I hear that.

Anyway I do mainly game shooting so will be using heavier loads so have no worries about it failing to cycle 30gram and up.

Cant beleive September 1st is coming up again so soon.. Haven't been out in the off season half as much as I'd like.

Advertisement