Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK to Letterkenny

• 25-07-2007 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi, I'm Kev, currently living and working in IT in rural Shropshire, England.

I'm mulling over a job offer (I'll accept it) to work in Letterkenny. From what I've read so far, Letterkenny seems to be the kind of location we want since it's in a rural county, but with enough modern amenities.

We like the houses that we have seen on sale and their much lower prices compared to Dublin or the UK in general.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say about the town, esp. in comparision to other places in the UK. Some British expats have told me not to expect the level of development that we find in the UK, in regards to general infrastructure e.g. digital TV, broadband, public transport, roads, education etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Kevoh wrote:
    Hi, I'm Kev, currently living and working in IT in rural Shropshire, England.

I'm mulling over a job offer (I'll accept it) to work in Letterkenny. From what I've read so far, Letterkenny seems to be the kind of location we want since it's in a rural county, but with enough modern amenities.

We like the houses that we have seen on sale and their much lower prices compared to Dublin or the UK in general.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say about the town, esp. in comparision to other places in the UK. Some British expats have told me not to expect the level of development that we find in the UK, in regards to general infrastructure e.g. digital TV, broadband, public transport, roads, education etc

Expect the Roads, Digital TV and Education (Irish Education system is probably considered better than UK)
    Thumbs down on the Broadband and Public Transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Slash_irl

It was one of Europes fastest growing and deveoping towns at one stage.

It has everything really, but is not so well planned, but thats not an issue if you know the town.

-Digital TV is available through companies like NTL, Chorus and Sky, so theres a good amount of choice, and rumour has it that Fibre company Magnet, may be beginning operations in Letterkenny.

-The Roads are good depending on which way you are going, to Derry, Dublin, Belfast (important places) they are good, to other unimportant rural places they arent exactly motorway standard but are good enough anyway.

-The Irish Education system is considered to by alot better than the UK's and the Junior Cert. and Leaving Cert. are better recognised in the EU as the rest of Europe uses a similare Qualifications framework as we do in Ireland.

-Broadband isn't as fast as it is in the UK because, the main owner of all the copper on the Island has "shareholders to please" and so wont offer more than 3meg SDSL, but other companies such as Irish broadband can be negotiated with for a much faster fixed wireless connection. But in a few years the government will have undermined Eircom (main owner of all copper connections on the Island) with our shiney new Island wide fibre ring, so REALLY high speed isnt too far away!

-Public transport is "meh" for a better word, there are only really links to main towns and Cities, as Letterkenny isn't large enough to require its own internal public transport.

So overall its a good town, with alot of potential, its got 3rd Level Education called an I.T. (a lower "class" university).

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Letterkenny has just got a town bus service. I see it going past my office a few times a day. Not too sure of routes/frequency yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Kevoh

Thank you all for your replies, Slash_irl very comprehensive info, thank you. I now at least know what to expect. After 6 yrs in Shropshire, I don't want to leave the rural life, while also not being far from the usual urban amenities that we are used to.

LYIT being located in town, would I guess make the town more vibrant during the occassional weekend night out.

What about the people generally? I've read complaints by peeps from elsewhere in Ireland that Donegal isn't as friendly as elsewhere in Ireland, but I think it would be friendlier than the UK, if Dublin (only part of Ireland I've been to) is anything to go by.

The organisation I could be working for has staff from over 20 different countries, so I would be at home there. And the rest of the town? As you all as welcoming to foreigners as Dublin is? I've a 4 yr old daughter who is mixed race (black=me, white=my wife). I wouldn't expect her to feel isolated as she's very friendly.

Kevoh wrote:
    Thank you all for your replies, Slash_irl very comprehensive info, thank you. I now at least know what to expect. After 6 yrs in Shropshire, I don't want to leave the rural life, while also not being far from the usual urban amenities that we are used to.

LYIT being located in town, would I guess make the town more vibrant during the occassional weekend night out.

What about the people generally? I've read complaints by peeps from elsewhere in Ireland that Donegal isn't as friendly as elsewhere in Ireland, but I think it would be friendlier than the UK, if Dublin (only part of Ireland I've been to) is anything to go by.

The organisation I could be working for has staff from over 20 different countries, so I would be at home there. And the rest of the town? As you all as welcoming to foreigners as Dublin is? I've a 4 yr old daughter who is mixed race (black=me, white=my wife). I wouldn't expect her to feel isolated as she's very friendly.

I find Donegal ppl to be sound! (Irish expression for nice/friendly)
    I was in LYIT for two years and the social life was great.

Don't imagine you'll find a problem with the race thing either.
    Ireland has now a huge diversity in terms of race and ethnic background.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Slash_irl

Donegal is a really very friendly county! Although most Irish poeple are friendly in general, but I think that the poeple of Donegal are perhaps the nicest, some poeple might be a bit backwards as it is a mainly agricultural county, but for every 1 backward person, there is at least 1000 others who are not.

I doubt racism would be a problem, despite what poeple from the rest of the world think, as gillie said, Ireland has a quite ethnically diverse population. Im not saying racism doesn't happen, theres always an arsehole somewhere in the world!.. My advice would be to make the local pub your first stop and make friends and get known :D :P

I have seen quite alot of poeple from other countries in letterkenny, there's a hospital in Letterkenny, so there is bound to be a large amount of foreign hospital workers living in the area. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

donegal is by far the nicest place to live in ireland, the people are nice the scenery is nice and you also have the bonus of being able to breathe fresh air

Thank you once for your responses. As for racism, it is a 2 way street, there are minorities who are racist to each other and towards the majority race and vice versa, but greatfully, they are very few these days in most countries. I'm glad millions are doing their bit for racial integration and harmony.

As for pubs and clubs, which ones are the place to be seen in? I go clubbing once a month with the boys and my wife does the same with the girls, so we are still young at heart.

I do love the outdoors, I cycle 6 hrs a week to keep fit-ish and take my daughter my daughter to the park every Saturday. We'll also spend some time at the new sports centre. Btw, do they charge to use the outdoor facilities like the skate park and the kids playground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Don't worry Kev, judging by the turnover in Pramerica, you'll probably be heading home in a years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Don't worry Kev, judging by the turnover in Pramerica, you'll probably be heading home in a years time.
    Maybe Im missing something here but can you explain what you mean jimmy.

Where did Pramerica come into the discussion and how would staff turnover affect the OP to the extent that he would have to return home?

• Advertisement

Not exactly Cead Mile Failte there Jimmy?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Kevoh wrote:

Btw, if you wanted to remain living in the UK with access to free Health Services, cheaper cars etc., Derry is only 20 miles away.

Good luck!

We have considered living in NI and communting since it's only 20-30 miles away but it seems there are more cons. The biggest Pro is that we don't have to exchange £s for Euros to buy property. The biggest con is we'll have to exchange our euro salaries to £ every month, which could be more expensive given the current exchange rates.

We don't need to pay VRT for our car in Ireland since we'll have owned it 6 months and 1 week in Sept. If we move to NI we'll have to pay council tax, higher income taxes and higher NI. Since Letterkenny is so close to the UK, we can always travel to NI to shop if prices proves to be cheaper in e.g. Derry.

Thanks for teaching me the Irish greeting Gilly. Jim, I'm interested to hear more on the turnover at Pramerica and why it's high. From what I've heard so far, it's the location that's too blame as some do not like rural Donegal, as it's far removed from say, Dublin. Since it's one of the best firms to work for in Ireland, I don't the company is to blame. My 2c.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My girlfriend worked in Pramerica for about a year. She really liked the job, but what she hated was working American hours, and working bank holidays. If you don't mind working American hours (or whatever hours you'll be given, depending on job status), you'll be grand.

Her brother, on the other hand has been there for many years, and has no plans to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Just try and live outside Letterkeny, Ballybofey/Stranorlar for instance.

If I am reading your post's correctly you should not have a problem in improving your quality of life ;) .

P. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

why's that paddy? i lived in letterkenny most of my life and i can't see a problem with it. i live in a quiet part of the town with friendly neighbors good views, nightlife, shopping etc. etc. etc.

byte

Paddy's just Twin Towns biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

You only need to move to Ballybofey/Stranorlar if you ever intend to drink in a bar there cos everyone stops and stares at strangers when they enter. Having said that, where else would you find so many people in a pub the minute it opens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

muffler wrote:
    Maybe Im missing something here but can you explain what you mean jimmy.

Where did Pramerica come into the discussion and how would staff turnover affect the OP to the extent that he would have to return home?

You have to read the signs and we did a recruitment drive recently and I went through a number of cv's of people who want to move from Pramerica to Dublin.

Now, if you were on an IT salary and had the quality of life in Donegal, why would you be moving?

where else would you find so many people in a pub the minute it opens.
    Castlefinn. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

muffler wrote:
    Castlefinn. :D

mmm will have to take it upon ourselves to see if thats true also, though bearing in mind there's not as many pubs as in the twin towns, I still think it has the county lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You have to read the signs and we did a recruitment drive recently and I went through a number of cv's of people who want to move from Pramerica to Dublin.

Now, if you were on an IT salary and had the quality of life in Donegal, why would you be moving?

A lot of it jimmy would be personal choice. Some prefer city life and the opportunities employment wise in Dublin. Obviously if you are in IT, there would be far more opportunities in your career in Dublin. Doesn't necessarily mean the quality of life is bad.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

byte

You only need to move to Ballybofey/Stranorlar if you ever intend to drink in a bar there cos everyone stops and stares at strangers when they enter. Having said that, where else would you find so many people in a pub the minute it opens.
    I doubt very much that that problem is solely in Twin Towns. Seems to happen in many towns.

Seems to me you love your pubs up there in Donegal! Thanks once again for all the info, we are looking foward to making our move. I think we'll like it, the hard part will be the move itself (selling house, moving stuff, renting, and buying later).

As for what Jimmy says, I spoke to several recruiters on whether people want to leave Pramerica. Most told me it was the rural location that many didn't like, but the quality of life, work benefits, great place to work awards, etc keeps them there.

I looked into Dublin, but many firms do not offer enough to be able to afford a decent house. The same as the S. East area of the UK, I had to reject a few offers/interviews in Oxford, Cambridge and London because of the high cost of housing vis-a-vis to the salary levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Kevoh, have you ever been in Donegal?

If your planning to move, it would be worth your while to spend some time or a few trips in Donegal first to see if you like it. U can get a flight from Liverpool to Derry and hire a car and check out Letterkenny.

If you plan ahead you could probably get some dirt cheap flights and suss out the area.

Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

No harm to Twin Town people buut Id rather live in Termon before there! lol! Nothing wrong with Letterkenny!

bettlebrox wrote:
    Kevoh, have you ever been in Donegal?
    Never been to Donegal, I thought I would be comming for the interview but I did it using a video link. I've only been to the Dublin area. From what I've read & been told by those who have been there, Donegal and Dublin would compare to London and Shropshire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Kevoh wrote:
    Jim, I'm interested to hear more on the turnover at Pramerica and why it's high. From what I've heard so far, it's the location that's too blame as some do not like rural Donegal, as it's far removed from say, Dublin. Since it's one of the best firms to work for in Ireland, I don't the company is to blame. My 2c.
    If things weren't to work out at Pramerica, there's Fujitsu and Northbrook Technology in Derry. They're both on recruiting drives at the moment. Not too bad a commute (half an hour) if you're in the Letterkenny / South Inishowen vicinity.

Slash_irl wrote:
    some poeple might be a bit backwards as it is a mainly agricultural county
    Is this for real?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Slash_irl2

Dun wrote:
    Is this for real?

Yeah, the amount of funny looks my father got when he got his new car was well... alot :p

You clearly have never driven through a small village in Donegal and had half of its inhabitants drop their jaws and stare at your car ;)

And why does the subject of Derry keep comming up?.. its in a different region not to mention a different country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Slash_irl2

And This is my new account. It replaces my last one, which for reasons I am unallowed to disclose because of the charter, was banned. :p

Slash_irl2 wrote:

And why does the subject of Derry keep comming up?.. its in a different region not to mention a different country!

1/2 hour drive is a different region? North West? Have you looked at the national spatial strategy? Neither Govt. agrees with you.

If you live in Stillorgan or Swords is that a different region from Dublin city centre? Further away than Derry is to Lk though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Slash_irl2 wrote:
    And This is my new account. It replaces my last one, which for reasons I am unallowed to disclose because of the charter, was banned. :p
    If only people would be this kind too me more often. Both accounts are now forum banned and a site ban will follow for any repeat.

Slash_irl2 wrote:
    Yeah, the amount of funny looks my father got when he got his new car was well... alot :p

You clearly have never driven through a small village in Donegal and had half of its inhabitants drop their jaws and stare at your car ;)

Well I presume your father must have purchased the bat mobile or something.

And the whole cityside of Derry is in a bit of Inishowen that was lopped off and stuck onto the former County Coleraine for political reasons. There's nowhere in Inishowen that can't get to Derry quicker than Letterkenny. Just because it's in a different political jurisdiction doesn't mean that the hinterland stops at the border. And that works in both directions - how many Derry cars would you see at the weekend in Letterkenny, especially around Christmas?

Apologies for being so quiet while many of you contributed to this thread. Today, I received my verbal offer from Pramerica (as many of you guessed) and I start on the first week of October.

The hard work begins now, as I have to find a place to live (is daft.ie the place to search?), move my stuff etc

Thank you all for your replies, I'll definately have more Q's for you all.

• Advertisement

Daft may be helpful but there are a lot of estate agents in Letterkenny who would have a lot more properties in their book. Have a look here.

There was something about a fella in Lk who started a property site on the web too, it was in the local press. Something like 1,500 properties, to buy and rent. Without free advertising:D could have been Donegal properties or some name like that. Worth googling I'd say.

Thanks all. I have some more specific q's about lk.

Education: I have a 4 yr old. Which are the best state pre-schools and primary schools in Lk?

Heating and cooking: From what I've seen on the property websites, the main method of heating is oil fired. What about cooking? Is it better to leave behind our gas cooker in the UK as it uses mains LPG?

Kevoh wrote:

Education: I have a 4 yr old. Which are the best state pre-schools and primary schools in Lk?

Heating and cooking: From what I've seen on the property websites, the main method of heating is oil fired. What about cooking? Is it better to leave behind our gas cooker in the UK as it uses mains LPG?

Oil fired central heating is certainly the most comon method for heating. Town gas isn't available. Most people have an electric oven with a gas (bottled) hob. I know nothing about the schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Most people usually send their kids to the nearest school to them. Would think all the schools are much the same, although a school out in the country would have less in the class so the teacher probably can spend more time with individuals.

• Advertisement

shiibata wrote:
    Most people usually send their kids to the nearest school to them. Would think all the schools are much the same, although a school out in the country would have less in the class so the teacher probably can spend more time with individuals.

Then again they are 2 or 3 teacher scholls for junior infants to 6th class. They have to divide their energies between 3/4 different classes.

Bigger schools tend to have one teacher per class. 1 per maybe 24 to 30 kids. Maybe not as individual but all being taught the same thing.

Seanies32 wrote:
    Then again they are 2 or 3 teacher scholls for junior infants to 6th class. They have to divide their energies between 3/4 different classes.

Bigger schools tend to have one teacher per class. 1 per maybe 24 to 30 kids. Maybe not as individual but all being taught the same thing.

24-30, usually nearer the 30 mark..Mine are at a 3 teacher school My oldest just started 4th class and there are 21 in whole classroom.(4,5&6)
    The wee man just started 2nd and have 23 (1,2 & 3)
    The other room has baby and high infants and its less tan 20 I think

shiibata wrote:
    24-30, usually nearer the 30 mark..Mine are at a 3 teacher school My oldest just started 4th class and there are 21 in whole classroom.(4,5&6)
    The wee man just started 2nd and have 23 (1,2 & 3)
    The other room has baby and high infants and its less tan 20 I think

So the teacher has to spread her attention and teaching around 3 different classes! Eg. the teacher will be getting the 2nd class ready for first communion and will be spending time on that year, whereas one teacher with one class can devote all her attention to that particular class.

There's advantages and disadvantages to both types. Some small schools may only have 3 or 4 kids in 6th class and when they go to secondary lose those friends. Where as there's less chance if there's is 24 to 30 in a class of losing all those friends.

Very valuable info I'm getting from the 2 of you.

You mentioned communion. From the citizens info website, I've read that most schools are controlled by the Roman Catholic church and I would expect that this would apply to all schools in Letterkenny. am I correct?

I also read that "Children do not have to attend religion classes and you may choose to withdraw your child from such classes if you wish." I am sure the school/classmates do not take it personally when parents withdraw their kids from religion classes. My wife and I have decided teach the little one about all religions and she can choose the one (or none) she wants when she grows up. I've also read elsewhere that religion no longer plays a major role in day to day life as it used to and less than 45% attended regular services.

Seanies32 wrote:
    So the teacher has to spread her attention and teaching around 3 different classes! Eg. the teacher will be getting the 2nd class ready for first communion and will be spending time on that year, whereas one teacher with one class can devote all her attention to that particular class.

There's advantages and disadvantages to both types. Some small schools may only have 3 or 4 kids in 6th class and when they go to secondary lose those friends. Where as there's less chance if there's is 24 to 30 in a class of losing all those friends.

All at our kids primary school go to the one secondary school but right enough if your living in the country around LK, I see kids going to Raphoe(royal), convent, eunans, tec and even some going to Ballinamore irish school and some will probably lose their friends.

Kevoh wrote:
    Very valuable info I'm getting from the 2 of you.

You mentioned communion. From the citizens info website, I've read that most schools are controlled by the Roman Catholic church and I would expect that this would apply to all schools in Letterkenny. am I correct?

I also read that "Children do not have to attend religion classes and you may choose to withdraw your child from such classes if you wish." I am sure the school/classmates do not take it personally when parents withdraw their kids from religion classes. My wife and I have decided teach the little one about all religions and she can choose the one (or none) she wants when she grows up. I've also read elsewhere that religion no longer plays a major role in day to day life as it used to and less than 45% attended regular services.

I have heard of kids not attending religion classes due to the same reason as yourselves. That should be no problem.
    The 45% you mention, I would think is being a tad generous. I would think it lower.
    Would not be 100% sure on all the primary schools in LK, only work there.
    Good luck in your quest any how.

PS Where is Pramerica? Is it up past hospital on the left

shiibata wrote:
    PS Where is Pramerica? Is it up past hospital on the left

Yep, at the office park on Windyhall road. It goes by the name Pramerica Financial, I later searched and found the sign on the web.

I've only been there once in late July for an all day interview/meet the people session b4 returning to the UK. Will be coming back to Lk later on this month to look for a place to live.

Kevoh wrote:

As you say oil heating is installed in the vast majority of properties though there are some in Letterkenny with LPG tanks. However there is no reason why any gas cooker could not be used with bottled gas with a few modifications, thats if you have plenty of spare room on the lorry:) You may find a cooker will be left behind by the previous occupant in any case.

Schools are less of an issue here than in England when deciding on where to live, perhaps because there are no league tables. We're experiencing a bit of a baby boom at the moment though so expect things to get a bit crowded before long.

sesswhat wrote:
    We're experiencing a bit of a baby boom at the moment though so expect things to get a bit crowded before long.

Cripes:eek: take it easy on mrs.sesswhat

shiibata wrote:
    Cripes:eek: take it easy on mrs.sesswhat

Too late:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement