Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT DSL won't sync

Options
  • 25-07-2007 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

Here's the story guys was on this thread before and tried all the troubleshooting steps with regards to my wireless connection with the netopia.Got some great input from you guys but no luck at home with it.

Anyway got on to BT (have 2mg broadband package) and decided to get one of there wireless routers to replace the netopia eircom one.

Plan was to keep the netopia one upstairs and use it as a wired modem for the laptop and move the computer downstairs and use the new bt one and hopefully pick up the signal all around the house (downstairs)

So disconnected everything from the computer, scanner printer everything (and there is a lot of stuff). Stripped it back to just the desk and moved it all downstairs. Put in the microfilters wired up a connection to the new spot of phone extention cable from an existing downstairs socket and connected it all back up again.

This is when i got really mad. No DSL. Ring BT and am told that after 2 hours work moving it i may aswell move it back.
    BT tell me that "generally only the phone socket that the main phoneline feed comes off will be equipped to accomidate broadband."
    Lads somebody please tell me that this is a load of bull****.

I bought the router directly from BT and explained what i was going to do and nobody said a ****ing word about broadband only working from the main phone socket.
    And i was under the impression that the main phone socked was the one in the hall and not the upstairs one anyway.

Long and the short of it. I have 2 wireless modems am €50 down for the second router and a computer that has no ****ing internet. What a joke.

Any remedy for this problem? other than picking up a big sledgehammer and heading for BT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

have you disconnected the netopia one yet?
    you can only have one adsl modem on a phone line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

subway wrote:
    have you disconnected the netopia one yet?
    you can only have one adsl modem on a phone line

Yep i disconnected the one upstairs and brought it downstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Right. So now PC is downstairs. The Internet-connected router will be downstairs [BT one, right?]. In almost all cases, DSL is available through all sockets. Microfilters must be on ALL other phone sockets and, as sybway has said, only one ADSL modem on the line at any time. Is the router downstairs syncing?

With the new modem synced to the exchange downstairs, you can sort out the laptop. I take it the laptop will be connecting wirelessly to the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

ethernet wrote:
    Right. So now PC is downstairs. The Internet-connected router will be downstairs [BT one, right?]. In almost all cases, DSL is available through all sockets. Microfilters must be on ALL other phone sockets and, as sybway has said, only one ADSL modem on the line at any time. Is the router downstairs syncing?

With the new modem synced to the exchange downstairs, you can sort out the laptop. I take it the laptop will be connecting wirelessly to the router?

I'm not sure what it's supposed to be doing while synching but when its turned on with the phone cable into the back of it it tries to connect to dsl and all the lights go mad. However the DSL never gets connected it just keeps flashing and its supposed to be constant.

Microfilters are installed on the two sockets dont mind so much about only being able to use one ADSL modem as long as i can get the broadband working downstairs i don't mind.

Yes the laptop will be connecting wirelessly to the router.
    Just hoping the BT router will be better than the eircom netopia. i.e not drop the wireless signal every five minutes.

Anything i can try to get it to work?

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Anything i can try to get it to work?

If you download this file and save it to your desktop and then connect your Voyager to your PC and follow the Step 1 to 2. It might work it might not, but worth a go.

http://www.iol.ie/~drivers/Upgrade2110.html

Hope it works :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Nothing to do with wireless, so moving to BB.

When you say extension, do you mean you have a long phone wire connected into the upstairs socket and ending downstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

The BT modem you're using, is that the crappy USB one?

How about using the Netopia downstairs instead? Try disconnecting everything else on the phone line and connect only the router to the phone line and see if it syncs. Need to be using BT's broadband settings.

Advertisement