Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prob with vodafone? Or my end?

Options
  • 25-07-2007 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi - have been using vodafone modem for the last couple of months - very slow, nothing like broadband but better than dialup.

Anyway I have to connect to work vpn a couple of times a day and it was fine up till last Monday or Tuesday when it just stopped. Password checked etc - work says they did nothing different on their end.

Switched eventually to using sim card in a linksys router etc and datacard (I think that's the right word for it) - anyway the general connection was even worse but at least could get into the vpn - most of the time anyway. But then today that seems to have died too - couldn't get in for ages, then did (so know it's not password etc) - then couldn't again and haven't been able to for ages.

Am trying the modem again at the moment - general connection slow but stable (4 bars, gprs - no 3g here, rarely get more than 4 bars, but it's fine for surfing/emails etc, I tend to use onspeed). So just wondering - is it possibly something vodafone could have done, or is it just slowness of connection - another colleague who uses vpn regularly reports no extra problems so can't be something work have done...

Any ideas? Not really sure this is a broadband issue so feel free to move if necessary.

Thanks

Aisling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

there are setting to do with the way data is transfered between Firewalls about fragmenting packets of data over a certain size

on sonicwalls for eg you can choose to "don't fragment bit"

Mismatch of these settings can play havoc with VPN connections

I would test on a friends DSL internet connection and see if it is any different

for a point of reference I was testing a VPN on a vodafone HSDPA usb card and the speed was dismal whereas it was fine on the DSL connection

you have ZERO chance of vodafone doing anything though on their side unfortunately though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

try changing the apn from hs.vodafone.ie to either isp.vodafone.ie or office.vodafone.ie and see does that work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aislingw

Thanks to both of you for the responses. Did as wirelessdude suggested and switched apn to isp.vodafone.ie and it worked! Wow - thanks!! How did you know?! And to think I dithered for days over asking here as was sure it was me just being a ditz!! Thanks a million again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Think they've been changing settings related to VPNs. All the datacard users where I work have been VPN-less for a week now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aislingw

Interesting, DemonOfTheFall - maybe I should ring them and enquire.

• Advertisement

aislingw wrote:
    Thanks to both of you for the responses. Did as wirelessdude suggested and switched apn to isp.vodafone.ie and it worked! Wow - thanks!! How did you know?! And to think I dithered for days over asking here as was sure it was me just being a ditz!! Thanks a million again :D

can you retry hs.vodafone.ie apn and let me know if it working now...should be working since 5pm today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 squarepeg

try changing the apn from hs.vodafone.ie to either isp.vodafone.ie or office.vodafone.ie and see does that work...

i'm not too savvy on all this stuff. what does this mean and how do I do it? i've got a mac ibook with OSX and use Opera if that makes a differance.
    Would be glad of any help as i'm not very impressed with this modem - so far it isn't anything like as good as I hoped it might be. in fact it's mostly not a lot better than My usual "country" dial-up and sometimes gives up alltogether
    It's better before 8am but who wants to get up at the crack of dawn to use the web?:confused:

squarepeg wrote:
    i'm not too savvy on all this stuff. what does this mean and how do I do it? i've got a mac ibook with OSX and use Opera if that makes a differance.
    Would be glad of any help as i'm not very impressed with this modem - so far it isn't anything like as good as I hoped it might be. in fact it's mostly not a lot better than My usual "country" dial-up and sometimes gives up alltogether
    It's better before 8am but who wants to get up at the crack of dawn to use the web?:confused:

if you have any issues call voda data support 1850 287000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 squarepeg

Yes I'll do that re network dardiness but was just trying to find out what was meant by the advice to change the APN. What is that, and how would I do it?

squarepeg wrote:
    Yes I'll do that re network dardiness but was just trying to find out what was meant by the advice to change the APN. What is that, and how would I do it?

changing the APN won't make you get any better coverage...it was just a suggestion as a work around for the VPN issue

• Advertisement
Advertisement