Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paris

• 25-07-2007 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Off to Paris with my other half on Sunday. We have 4 days and I was looking for some tips. We want to take a day trip out of the city for one day, any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

The palace of Versailles is outside the city and is pretty cool although it is a long time since I was there.

In Paris, the best part was just wandering around the streets stopping in cafes. There's a really cool English language bookshop called Shakespeare and Company that's quite famous for being visited by Ernest Hemingway and James Joyce. It's the most atmospheric and interesting bookshop i've been in to. It's beside the Seine near Notre Dame. I also enjoyed going to the Pere-Lachaise cemetary. Lots of famous people are buried including Jim Morrison, Oscar Wilde and Frederic Chopin. You can get maps to all the graves from this dude next to the entrance.

I liked doing those kind of things in European cities, it's a bit different then the usual tourist stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

Everyone wants to do the Eiffel Tower and it is definately work trekking to the top. HOWEVER the best way to do this is to book a 'tour' as tour groups don't have to stand in the queue. When I was there in August a few years ago the queues were about 200 people at least.

Boat trip down the Seine was lovely.

We went up to Montmarte area, that was really nice with little restaurants, local artists, and spectacular views. We went at dusk and the sunset was beautiful.

Later we went to a cabaret show with dinner.

enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

boat trip is supposed to be brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Whats the easiest way to get from CDG to the city centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

depending on where your hotel is, either take the air france buses or the RER which is in essence a train network in and around paris, which you can take to the city centre and then jump in the metro to your hotel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Sound.

The train might be the way to go so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You can get a 3 day paris visite card, unlimited travel on RER and Metro and busses too I think.
    RER is more like commuter train, every 15 - 20 mins, metro is every 2 mins or so.

you can get the RER from CdG to Paris.
    you can also get RER to Versailles, its impressive, you can see why people'd get upset and decapitating people though- musta cost a lot

In Paris, Montmartre and Sacre Cour, rue d'Abbesses area is nice,
    Musee D'Orsay is impressive, better than the Louvre, which is a bit of a letdown. Cemetiere Pierre Lachasse is supposed to be good, Havn't been myself but I've heard good things about it froma diverse range: Doors stoner types to George Hook last week on the radio

Centre du George Pompidou is worth a look for the Zig and Zag Nostalgia

Walk along the banks of the Seine or get a boat trip
    Notre Dame and the Latin quarter

Sit down, have a coffee and wathc the world...
    pretty endless amount of stuff to do....

Advertisement