Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Id of a bird please

Options
  • 25-07-2007 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

The drive to the city centre takes me down the M1. Between the last Balbriggan exit and the Donabate/Lusk exit there are some unused electricity pylons first on the left and then, as you get closer to the city, on your right. Recently around this second bunch of pylons I have seen a raptor of some form and I don't know what it is. It isn't a kestrel as the colouring is wrong and it's wings aren't tapered. I originally thought it was a tawny owl but the shape of the head is much more like that of a hawk than an owl.

Anyone got a clue?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

need a pic really:o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A pic would be helpful. A description of the size, colouring, plumage maybe?

Have you checked the Birdwatch Fingal website to see what raptors are common to that area?

I know that Buzzards are common enough in Fingal. There's one that visits my garden occasionally. He's a big lad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Sorry folks, I only ever see it in passing. and am never able to stop and take a pic. However I do think that it may be a Buzzard. I didn't think they were as widespread as that but it definitly looks about the size and colouring for that (dark brown with white tips <or perhaps bands> on the wings) hovering with stronger and slower wing beats than a Kestral.

Cheers anyway.

:o I've just had a look at the Fingal bird-watch site (should have done that first of course):o .
    The bird in question may be a harrier of some ilk. The wings on the Marsh Harrier look like the ones I saw on the bird in question

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Happy days! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Legspin,

It's much more likely to be a Buzzard in this area. There are loads of them at present. If you got such a fleeting look at it then you couldn't make the determination that it was a Hen or marsh Harrier.

Just had confirmation that it is a buzzard. A more knowledgable mate of mine put me wise. It's too big to be a harrier and the colouration is all wrong.

Cheers for the help folks

Advertisement