Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

HD-DVD And 32" Screen

• 25-07-2007 2:14pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of getting the HD-DVD add on for the 360.

Already have it hooked up via vga upscalling normal dvds and it looks class.

Will I notice much off a better quality picture? Is it worth it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It depends if you have an eye for detail then yes it may be worth it though you will be limited to 720p as the movies are all encoded in 1080p but they still look great on 32" screen.

If your more happy with the upscaling of existing DVD's then it is probably not worth getting into at this time. Wait till the dust settles on the format war between HD-DVD/Blu-ray.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Was looking into a bit more. In terms of sound I'm limited to DD 5.1 so in that regard I'm sorted.

I'd love to see a screen shot of the same film on upscaled and one hd just to see the detail.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

upscaled is the same as 480p, your tv is going to upscale any signal to 720p, so upscaling is a waste of time. You're trying to make extra information from something that isn't there. unless the scaler in your tv is rubbish, ithere is little or no difference between normal and upscaled. there is no extra detail in a normal dvd upscaled or not

HDDVD on the other had has the extra data. there is all the extra detail. I've seen 32" tv's where the difference is huge, so as 8t8 says it's a matter of how big an effect it is for you. Don't forget you're buying into a format war which may not end prettily

that said, i've a hddvd source...but my screen is pretty large so the difference is immediate

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mossym wrote:
    upscaled is the same as 480p, your tv is going to upscale any signal to 720p, so upscaling is a waste of time. You're trying to make extra information from something that isn't there. unless the scaler in your tv is rubbish, ithere is little or no difference between normal and upscaled. there is no extra detail in a normal dvd upscaled or not

HDDVD on the other had has the extra data. there is all the extra detail. I've seen 32" tv's where the difference is huge, so as 8t8 says it's a matter of how big an effect it is for you. Don't forget you're buying into a format war which may not end prettily

that said, i've a hddvd source...but my screen is pretty large so the difference is immediate

From what I've seen upscalling through the vga has a much better picture quality than the component out put I had it running through before I got the vga cable.

As for the format issues I wouldnt be to pushed about that for a while

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

`that's connection differences, not resolution differences, the difference between component and vga for the 360 has been well documented. What i'm saying is if you had an upscaler, and using the sme connection, switch between 480p and 720p, bet there would be little difference...

microsoft really did a bad job of video output with regards to kepping output over the different connections at the sam quality, originally the component was way better than vga, then they fixed vga with a software updateand now it is better than component...anyone think it was a handy way of getting everyone to buy all the different cables for the 360?

• Advertisement
Advertisement