Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat vs Mondeo MPG

Options
  • 25-07-2007 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

hey lads,

Im looking at two diesels at the moment, both 02s. One is a 130BHP 1.9TDI Passat and the other is a 115PS 2.0TD Zetec Mondeo. They both have similar mileage but obviously the Mondeo is cheaper.

Everyone seems to have different opinions on which is the beter car but can anyone tell me which car would do better MPG?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Pep ,

I have a '03 Passat TDI ( Standard not DI ) and over the last year I average 52 TO 55 mpg on the open road on 100mile + journeys ,

Driving in the city / suberbs my average is from 40 to 44 mpg ! .

Have a look at the reviews of each of the cars on parkers.co.uk any you might find a few good user opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I have a Mondeo 130bhp diesel, and it returns 51-52mpg per tankful, measured brim to brim. Ignore the onboard guage, its very optomistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

Hi gyppo,

what year is you Mondeo? I didnt think they came in 130bhp versions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Keith K

hi i have the 2001 115 zetec mondeo diesel, the tddi one though, not the tdci one. if my one is the one your looking at i dont have figures for recent months but over four full fuel fills and mileage checks over xmas i got only 30mpg, but i do have a very heavy right foot and dont do motorway travel much

they released the tdci mondeo in 2002 and then offered it in 130hp option

ive read good things about people reporting 45+mpg on chat rooms etc for that model

50 odd mpg is a bit optimistic isnt it?
    most of these cars werent even manufactured to do that so after 5 or 6 years they dont improve!!!
    40mpg is good considering both are very haevy cars(my nct sheet says 1670kg)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pep wrote:
    Hi gyppo,

what year is you Mondeo? I didnt think they came in 130bhp versions?

Very rare to find a 130bhp version in Ireland. I think it was only offered here in the Ghia model. Most Zetec models with the 130bhp TDCi version are UK imports.

To answer the original question I reckon both cars would have similar mpg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mondeo was also offered here in 130bhp Ebony spec, basically a Zetec with climate control and 6 speed box. cracking car, miles ahead of the 115bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

We have both as company cars (100BHp passats and 115 mondeos tho) and both give very similar consumption 47 to 50 mpg in mixed driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Bazz is right, mine is an ex-uk car.

50+ mpg is easily achievable on these cars if you drive it with economy in mind. Bury the right foot, and economy will suffer, like any other car.

Advertisement