Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Portsmouth Match Thread

• 25-07-2007 2:28pm
    Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭

Friday at 1.15, live on sky.

Anyone have any confirmed news on Torres/Lucas being cleared
    to play? Would prefer not to see the same defensive midfield
    as the last game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

seems there are still problems but it is expected to be sorted by friday. should be a good game hopefully we tear them apart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

For the Portsmouth v Liverpool game, I predict the following starting line up

James
    Cranie, Campbell, Distin
    O'Neil, Mendes, Muntari, Taylor
    Krancjar,
    Benjani, Nugent

I predict 2-1 to the mighty Pompey.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not impressed with the new pompey gear, the goalie one is pretty much the irish rugby jersey!

copacetic wrote:
    not impressed with the new pompey gear, the goalie one is pretty much the irish rugby jersey!
    I think it is Canterbury's new look.:rolleyes:

the blue shirt is ok, but the goalie's is a bit dodgy http://www.store.portsmouthfc.co.uk/stores/portsmouth/default.aspx?portal=Q6KPFG5A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Nugent will be out to prove a point. Didn't we send him packing from the youth setup?

I think if we get the new boys cleared to play we have a great chance of winning. Fitness is the goal here however, not winning the cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

If we didn't win, i'd be freaked. But i don't think either Rafa or Harry will be taking it too seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Coming towards the end of pre-season I would say Rafa will put out a pretty strong side...I'm going for the following...

Carson

Arbeloa----Carragher----Agger
    Riise

Benayoun---Gerrard
    Alonso----Babel/Kewell

Torres--Kuyt

Voronin has been playing a lot lately so Id say he will start on the bench. Kuyt only played 30 mins last game so I think he will start. Torres wasnt even involved at all in the last game and has only played about 70 odd mins so I think we will see a fair bit of him.

Kewell had a pretty bad game against south china...but Babel was worse in the game before. One of them to start on the left. Pennant should probably start on the right but Benayoun might just get in there as he is a new signing. Sissoko was awful in the last game so I rekon he will be on the bench. Arbeloa & Riise were two of the better players on the pitch last game so I have gone for them.

yeah, I'd like to see a strong team, even a friendly like this is a better test when against another premiership side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

A strong team would be nice, I'd like to see Babel in the left.

zabbo wrote:
    A strong team would be nice, I'd like to see Babel in the left.

Agreed, give Babel a full run out and see how he looks. Maybe with a bit more game time he will improve. Hopefully he can actually stay out on the wing a bit more aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Kewell was pretty poor, considering he's been over there a while and should be acclimatised.

He's got a terrible attitude, constantly waving his hands in front of him when the perfect ball doesn't materialise.

Get married to a Dingle, probably tops it for me...Harry bloody Dingle. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Id agree with most of that Tusky, more agreeing with what yo usaid after you posted the lineup, ie. pennant to start on the right.

gerrard didnt play the last round, sissoko sucked, alonso was great, Lucas just about available and Masch not in the country. Pennant has just been playing from the bench, Benayoun has played a lot and Kewell we know all about already. Voronin has also played a lot in preseason

So taking all that into consideration and that its a match against premiership opposition id like to see;
    Pennant--gerrard--Alonso--Babel
    Kuyt--Torres

With Kewell Lucas and Benayoun coming on at some point and Voronin on for Kuyt.

Really want our guys rested enough for this so we can see how they can really do. Im confident but at the same time, Pompy look great at the moment i could see Muntari being one of the signings of the season - fantastic player!

P.S apologies for replies to 4 pool threads in a few mins, would have thrown em together on the "superthread"

Does anyone know what time actual kick off is for this game?

Is it half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Does anyone know what time actual kick off is for this game?

Is it half?

Appears to be half past alright. Pretty sure the club's site was saying 13:15 the other day but 13:30 now.

yea, went on my lunch the other day of catch the second half, went at 2.15 thinking it would be kicking off, got the last ten minutes of the first half and then the first 25 or so of the second half, not impressed! trying to work the whole second half into this lunch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Had forgotten the match was on until i seen this thread. Man, I feel terrible. Headache, sore throat. Its just came on me all of a sudden, i swear. Probably have to go home before lunch. (cough,cough)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

does anyone know of any links for streams?

no news on starting line-up yet???

http://www.footballstreaming.info/schedule/streams/friendlies.html

It says Liverpool V South China, but its a typo, on at right time and date.

and of course http://www.rojadirecta.com/
    links for streams in english there so probably a better bet.

Brother just rang me saying that its being said on sky sports as Torres didn't get international clearance after all.

Really pissed off about this.

Babel on the other hand will feature (bit strange conisdering he was signed after torres)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Still no clearance for Torres, Babel and Kuyt start up top.

mods delete this thread if ye want. Should have put it in the match thread, didn't think.

Don't wanna give the Liverpool conspiracy theorists more to piss and moan over.

Cheers,

Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Still no clearance for Torres, Babel and Kuyt start up top.

They just said on Sky that they've until 13:25 to sort out Torres international clearance and if they do he could feature. Wonder what's causing the hold up.

Lucas on the bench so hopefully he'll feature later on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Will get injured now and be out for half the season, you watch ;)

Post in reponse to opr's post which he has since deleted saying that Torres will start after Harry said it will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The scoreline on the screen is massive. I hope it's not what Sky have planned for the season! Babel is reminding me a little of Barnesy on the left. Just needs to put on about 5 stones and he'll be there.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Yeah the score/time graphic does seem a bit much alright.

Agreed about the graphics for the scoreline. It's too central as well.

Torres coming on at next chance. 50mins on clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭Trampas

I presume it is still 0-0

• Advertisement

Yup, 84 mins gone. Gerrard coming on. Pens after 90 mins if level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Aparently there was a dodgy offside decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

whos playin well for pool

Penalties it is.

Pompey up first. Utaka WIDE.

Stevie now. GOAL!!

• Advertisement

Torres pen saved. Both 2/3. Poor pen by Torres in fairness.

Benayoun's pen also saved. Good Save by James. Pompey win it 4-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

:rolleyes:

looks like I was half right with my prediction :p

Torres looked lively. 'Pool might have won but for James, he had another terrific game.

• Advertisement

I know it still pre-season but considering the amount of chances created today and the domination of the match for large spells, it was disappointing not to see us put the ball away. I don't particularly care about the pens but we have to be more clinical in open play. Hopefully, we'll be a bit sharper at the Rotterdam tournament.

Twas all pretty good except for the finishing. Both Kuyt and Torres should definately have scored. I hope thats not something im saying too ften this season...

Nightmare of an offside call towards the end on Benayoun when he was miles on side and through one on one with Kuyt beside him as well.

Pennant was very good again, very impressed with his improvements. babel looked much sharper again today, doesnt look as comfortable when hes on the right, but i guess thats why he's getting played there, to improve him in pre-season.

Sissoko looked a totally different player, much much better, looked much more confident on the ball, made a few nice dribbling runs (though admittedly a lot of it was sheer force of will and power), but his passing was a lot better, only a handful of misplaced ones and some good quick link up passes.

Kuyt had a good game except for his finishing, got in so many great positions and made good runs, a real pity he couldn't put that header away, the only real clear cut chance he had.

We def need defensive cover though, i wouldnt like to rely on todays partnership of Agger and Hypia for more then the odd game..looked very exposed at times, especially for O'Neils 1 on 1 chance.

<Edit> Yeah Kewell was excellent actually, really looked like he wanted it and put in a massive effort. Dare i say this could be his season? A good preseason could made the world of difference. Excellent backup to have anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

looder wrote:
    whos playin well for pool

Momo played a stormer. If only he could pass/shoot. He stormed the box on two occasions and shouldve gotten a shot off but didnt. Finnan was excellent as was Pennant. Kuyt for all the work he did, is too reserved in shooting. Too many timid shots or half efforts from him is costing us. Time to give Voronin a go maybe. I'll probably get flamed for this but I felt Harry Kewell played superbly. Perhaps a bit slow to spot others, he gave a lot when he was on and looked most comfortable on the left wing out of everyone who went there. He should probably have swapped with Babel for a while a went up front to see if he'd have any more success. Babel upped his game from the last day, troubled James a few times and was quick to react but he's still far from what we need imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I honestly can't remember the last time Liverpool lost penos, even in a friendly.

We had to lose a shootout at some stage. I'm just glad it was in a pre-season friendly as opposed to a CL semi-final or something :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So the smig didn't survive to a competitive fixture!

astrofool wrote:
    So the smig didn't survive to a competitive fixture!

didn't he have it today? i was sure he did..thats a pity if its gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

~Rebel~ wrote:
    didn't he have it today? i was sure he did..thats a pity if its gone!

As in they lost the match so it's magical powers have been nullified.

ah, gotcha.

I really hope Torres can start putting those chances away. Was just thinking earlier, one of the first things i thought of when we were linked with him was that he does miss a lot of chances. He gets a creates so many that he kinda makes up for it, but it could get very frustrating, like today..but obviously its very very early days yet and theres no reason he should be up to match sharpness yet. Here's hoping he can banish his rep for misses. Looks like his reputation for penalties was spot on though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Ah yes but the beard may be like the bookies, and only count it as a loss if it is in the ninety minutes ;) The smig like everything wants to live.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement