Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers Movie plotholes and mistakes! (CONTAINS SPOILERS!)

Options
  • 25-07-2007 2:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Thought I would kick of a thread in a light hearted fashion on what plothole/mistakes we found in the film. Ok most of us enjoyed it immensely even tho some plotholes were blatantly obvious so this is just a bit of fun - not a thread started to give out about how bad the film was.

Ill start with these:

* If the transformers can fly through the freezin cold of space, how come they can freeze in ice on earth or with those freeze guns sector 7 had?

* Why did the glasses get bigger when prime picked them up?

* How was bumblebee able to speak at the end of the film? When was he fixed????

* Why did the military want the allspark moved to a city at risk to millions of people?

* how come a nerd hacker at home could crack blackouts soundbyte yet the best minds and resources in the american government could not?

* is prime megatrons brother?

* considering how easy a transformer can kill another one, how come they survived this long??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Heh, very good, what about:

* Why didn't Frenzy just use the eBay "Buy it Now" option for Ladysman217's glasses ? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

ok first of all i would like to introduce myself. hi, im chin_grin. im VERY sarcastic and its important to note that not just in this but in ALL of my posts.......il carry on.

agreed its an enjoyable film (MORE MEGAN FOX.........MORE DAMN YOU! :p), but yeah i think the "feel" of the transformers themselves were too chaotic. like they tried to fit alot when they never kept the design simple.

um...this is a very good one...suppose it was for dramatic effect. so we would all go "awwwwww" at the end. (then walk out of the cinema and question how he could talk again).
    * how come a nerd hacker at home could crack blackouts soundbyte yet the best minds and resources in the american government could not?

dammit! i had a really witty reply on how the american military cant do anything right....but alas, its gone! but yeah, its kind of a cliche now. that the top hackers are not actually employed by the american government. (case and point: Die Hard 4.0).

for the want of political correctness, i think he said this in a "you my brotha dawg" way. or the way Manowar fans call each other "brothers of metal", oh wait....segueway, nice.
    * considering how easy a transformer can kill another one, how come they survived this long??

true, but considering they can scan anything and transform in to said item. you would think that one of em would change in to a nuclear explosive. or tin opener.....imagine the havoc!

another point to make in this film is the soundtrack....its not rockin enough. (im not a linkin park fan!) suppose the new smashing pumpkins track fits nicely (when bumblebee is being dragged/pushed along). but i would have preferred more along the lines of a blade soundtrack. ah im sure im making my point clear....it will all become soon enough....sooooooon!

/sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

1. Same reason that explosions emit masive flames that burn for ages in space battles.... I just assume hollywood doesn't know anything about space.

2. Didn't actually notice that. I was more conerned with the fact that Prime - a massive truck was swinging from a rather slim reinforced concrete beam... bit careless :)

3. Perhaps it just got knocked back into position from the blast (although why he didn't speak to Megan is a bit strange).

4. The city move really annoyed me. They are responsible for countless deaths!

5. He did it in seconds, all he did was zoom in. Idiots int he military!

6. I think it was Urban speak :)

7. No idea.

And my own:

8. They fought it out in a city, which looked like a fairly major city, killing or at least harming countless people, figther jets blowing chunks out of buildings, massive collateral damage (and no giant enemy crabs in sight) and yet the tv crew were merely enquiring into the existence of aliens with Sam's Ma and Da. How did they manage to contain this news story from reaching the media? or am I reading this wrong?

9. Surely they would have had a massive backup cryo power unit to prevent megatron from thawing in the case of a problem with the main unit or power source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

When Sam was being chased by bumblebee on his bike, when he gets knocked down by Barricade with his door, there's no image of a guy in the driver seat but there is a few seconds later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

no giant enemy crabs inflicting massive damage? what about that yoke that followed the troops at the start!? wait, giant enemy scorpion...ok sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

How about if the autobots hadnt shown up the series of events would have been smoother

No autobots: Sam obviously gets smacked around and his glassess are taken.

But Sector 7 instead of searching for bumblebee et all focus on the deceptacon sightings,

-The hacker would still have cracked the code

-The soldiers would have still been there to kick more butt then the autobots

-The airforce would have still be called in via the secetary of defence and the hacker.

The battle would not have moved to the city which honestly when you think about it would have been alot easier for both the airforce and the soldiers.

*also Frenzy might have had a harder time freeing Megatron if he hadnt hitched a lift in via Megan.

Course this is all speculation.

On the other hand, the single best thing the autobots did was turn the all spark into its smaller form allowing them to move it easier and keep it out of deceptacon hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

Why would sector seven keep an antique radio in a room full of hi-tech computer equipment and not bother to dust it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Cause they are lazy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

chin_grin wrote:
    no giant enemy crabs inflicting massive damage? what about that yoke that followed the troops at the start!? wait, giant enemy scorpion...ok sorry.

good point, scorponok, wtf was he goin after the soldiers for?? it was pointless!!

Great one from sofaking, i like it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

faceman wrote:
    good point, scorponok, wtf was he goin after the soldiers for?? it was pointless!!

To get rid of witnesses?

• Advertisement

Yeah, blackout zoomed in on the camera the soldier had and then sent scorponok after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

chin_grin wrote:
    Didn't Scorponok go after the soilders cos one of them took a scan, or something, of Blackout?

edit: as the previous posters have said

faceman wrote:
    * If the transformers can fly through the freezin cold of space, how come they can freeze in ice on earth or with those freeze guns sector 7 had?
    They were in protoform mode which has lots more armour (which broke off as the landed) + they may have been in hibernation. Note Megatron didn't have a protoform mode so failed spectacularly at entering the Earth's atmosphere.
    faceman wrote:
    Didn't notice. Really?
    faceman wrote:
    A lot of people say the Allspark fixed his voice box. Although why it didn't fix his legs I don't know. It fixed Frenzy completely and he was just a head!
    faceman wrote:
    * Why did the military want the allspark moved to a city at risk to millions of people?
    Same reason they looked for WMDs in Iraq.
    faceman wrote:
    The government wouldn't employ him because he was from a black middle class neighbourhood.
    faceman wrote:
    Maybe he meant 'brother in arms'. The prequel comic says they once co-ruled Cybertron.
    faceman wrote:
    Considering the planet Cybertron is now devoid of life I'm guessing quite a few were killed in the great war.

- Did anyone notice the continuirty error in the doughnut scene? Just me? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

also i dont know if its a plothole but in the aftermath of the airbase attack scene one of the spec ops describes the transformer having a sort of forcefield yet after the fight with Scorpinok its revealed that to pierce their armour they just need higher tempeture rounds????

What happened to the whole forcefield point?

Or did I mishear that scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Galvasean wrote:
    - Did anyone notice the continuirty error in the doughnut scene? Just me? :o
    You mean there was a half eaten doughnut left and then alll of a sudden there was a full one on the plate.... you'd think editors would notice these things

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

sprinkles wrote:
    You mean there was a half eaten doughnut left and then alll of a sudden there was a full one on the plate.... you'd think editors would notice these things

its up to continuity to spot that during film. During the edit that take with the bad continuity might have been the best take therefore the one they used.

some great posts on this thread, lets keep it goin.

i found a mistake. Sam says that his granfather was in the doin his search in the artic in 1897 but when frenzy finds the paper on air force 1 the date is 1895.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

faceman wrote:
    Thought I would kick of a thread in a light hearted fashion on what plothole/mistakes we found in the film. Ok most of us enjoyed it immensely even tho some plotholes were blatantly obvious so this is just a bit of fun - not a thread started to give out about how bad the film was.

Ill start with these:

well heres my attempt at answering these :D who says it works? in the preview comic they say megs runs out of energy and gets trapped in the ice so its not like its the ice that takes him out. take bumblebee, how long were they trying to freeze him and hes was still flailing about. this is why i reckon dropping the deceps into the ocean wont finish em off. que the sequel !
    faceman wrote:

bit glaring this i'll admit though he did seem to be handling em delicalty. got me here :D
    faceman wrote:

as was mentioned he was healed by the allspark. he probably just didnt realise it till he tried to speak and seeing as that was before he got his legs blown off that explains why they didnt grow back. probably was when he shrunk the cube.
    faceman wrote:

now this did annoy me. maybe they just really are that thick in the US military!
    faceman wrote:

civil service?
    faceman wrote:

according to the writers yes. personaly i hope prime was just getting a little religious over a fellow transformer. while ive no problem with TFs being related to each other this is up there with saying bush is related to bin laden. just too dumb for words
    faceman wrote:

like i said in another thread who says they're dead :D:D:D unless someones CPU is scrushed theres a rebuilding in the offing. remember TF are VERY hard to kill.

ok i know im going out on a limb there but hey it is a bay film !:)

ok i know im going out on a limb there but hey it is a bay film !:)
    I think we may have the answer to everything here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

faceman wrote:
    * If the transformers can fly through the freezing cold of space, how come they can freeze in ice on earth or with those freeze guns sector 7 had?

Its the ice which freezes around them and prevents their motors from moving. When the transformers leave a planet, they go through the atmosphere, which vaporises any surface liquid on their bodies. When they go into space, there is no vapour to freeze around them, and therefore the can still move. I dont think ice has any effect on them. I think megatron fell to earth and got lodged in the ice of the northpole, and could not move. I have a feeling they get thier energy from the sun, and after a few years, his power ran out. The US military, assumed that keeping him cold was the key, and continued to keep him cold. Freezing temperatures did not have much affect on Bumblebee.
    faceman wrote:

This is a similar type of error to what NASA made with one of the mars landers - One design team was working in inches, the other in centimetres. Or maybe the glasses have similar properties to the all spark, where size is an illusion. And when they come in contact with a transformer, they increase in size for the benefit of the transformer.

faceman wrote:
    Someone said that when he touched the allspark, it healed him. But then how would putting the allspark into a TF's core kill the TF? Surely the allspark would heal the injury as quickly as it damaged it? Maybe ratchet had a go at him at some point, which we didnt see, because we were busy discussing sam masterbatory habits. For the chief medic, he didnt really do anything useful in the movie. Maybe they had a scene with him doing something to bumblebee which was cut and replaced with a scene with more comedy in it.
    faceman wrote:
    The allspark gives off radiation. If you put it inside a mountain, no matter how thick the walls were it would still leak radiation. They knew the radiation was not directly dangerous, but they wanted to lessen the chances of it broadcasting into space. So they put it in a place with thousands of miles of electrical cabling, water pipes, a couple million television sets, microwave ovens etc, to basically create an electrical Din to sound out the Siren voice of the allspark.
    faceman wrote:

Dont get me started on that guy. He reminded me of Keenan from "keenan and kel". Half way between Jar-jar binks and the black kid from Malcolm in the middle. He was put in for so called laughs, and so his role did not matter. It would have been better, if they had used the hot australian chick as the l33t hacker and instead of saying "there is only one guy who can crack this", she says, "I can do this, but I need my computer system at home", and she goes home, uses her backdoor into the Cray supercomputers at the MIT physics lab to crack the signal.

faceman wrote:

I think so. They did rule Cybertron together.
    faceman wrote:

I would not say it is easy. After a whole movie, only jazz and Megatron were actually killed. The others were disposed of somehow. Not sure how

faceman wrote:
    i found a mistake. Sam says that his granfather was in the doin his search in the artic in 1897 but when frenzy finds the paper on air force 1 the date is 1895.
    Maybe Sam should have spent more time studying his heritage tahn trying to hawk off antiques.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

Galvasean wrote:
    Maybe Sam should have spent more time studying his heritage tahn trying to hawk off antiques.

And the Decepticons should have learned how to bid on ebay....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

thought the ebay stuff was hilarious. we were sitting there waiting for product placements, and they came left, right and center. but it wasn't too bad, i thought it was done with enough humour to stomach it.

didn't like the 50 cent reference though... that'll date the movie quite horribly in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Here's one. Did anyone else think it was strange when when Agent Simmons explained that all the earths technology was reverse engineered from Megatron but apparently the reason Megatron came to earth according to the Autobots was to use the cube to convert all the earths technology and wipe out the humans and take over the universe. Now aint that strange....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

Somebody tell me what the hell happened to Barricade... Where did he go? he was in front of Bone Crusher then Optimus destroyed him. But barricade Disaapeared...... or did i miss summit???

• Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i thought rachet, or whatever hewas called, shooting bumblebee round the throat witht he red laser, just after prime said his voice box had been damaged in battle, was fixing bumblebees voice box.

Here's my 2.

1. Why are 'new' transformers inherently evil?
    2. In what way were the Autobots 'already too late' when they got to earth? That would imply they failed their mission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Tauren wrote:
    i thought rachet, or whatever hewas called, shooting bumblebee round the throat witht he red laser, just after prime said his voice box had been damaged in battle, was fixing bumblebees voice box.

Here's my 2.

because all earths tech is derived from megatron, who is evil... or they thought having an Xbox360 try to eat someones face would be funny.
    I know i laughed.
    Tauren wrote:
    2. In what way were the Autobots 'already too late' when they got to earth? That would imply they failed their mission
    Or that the decepticons got there first?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

because all earths tech is derived from megatron, who is evil... or they thought having an Xbox360 try to eat someones face would be funny.
    I know i laughed.

Or that the decepticons got there first?
    That would make them simply late - too late means it is TOO late to do whatever it is you wanted to do.

If you were late to the cinema you would still see most of the movie. if you are too late to go to the cinema, it means you can no longer go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Kenny 5 wrote:
    When Sam was being chased by bumblebee on his bike, when he gets knocked down by Barricade with his door, there's no image of a guy in the driver seat but there is a few seconds later.

Doubt that was a mistake, however my friend and I both spotted the boom mike in Sam's home.

As for the plot overall, best not to examine it in too close a detail.

Tauren wrote:

A mate of mine explains it away with the trama of birth. Its just like a baby being born with mini guns for hands. He's gona fire them due to the shock and what not.
    Sector7 needs to take the time to work with these newborns and not jus waste them.

• Advertisement

Got another one. Amazing costume change. The aussie hacker whatever her name. When she was arrested she was wearing a demin skirt. In every scene after she was released by jon voight, she is wearing denim shorts.

Advertisement