Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What ye reckon? Any help greatly appreciated

Options
  • 25-07-2007 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

My 96 Opel Astra wont start after her visit to the car wash yesterday. Had the same problem once before when I went through a puddle and it cut out. Came back the day after, cleaned the distributer cap, sprayed it with sealer and it started an hour later. This particular technique didnt work on this occasion. Garage is a bit far across the city to tow during work hours. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

am presuming that it's turning over ok

does holding end of plug lead near spark plug cause a spark when trying to start? (or you get electric shock)

disconnect & reconnect the plug leads at distributor and spark plug ends to determine if they've all got good connections, also lead from distributor to coil.

maybe light sandpaper between points and clean rotor arm end.

could try removing the air filter and spraying in some 'cold start' while trying to start (watch out it's very flammable)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I would replace the cap and rotor asap, however cleaning and spraying with WD40 should expell the moisture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rubber Johnny

Thanks to you both. Tried all that but now think it may be the fuel pump, could be time for the knackers yard

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Faulty fuel pump is a common problem on that model Astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

could be just rust / crud clogging up the pump filter, or maybe float jammed in carburetter reservoir (if that car has carbs?)

• Advertisement
Advertisement