Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling holiday - how many changes of clothes

Options
  • 25-07-2007 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am going on a one-week cycling holiday in Croatia. I will be staying in camp sites for the duration. I am just wondering how many changes of cycling shorts etc i need. As i have to cart everything around with me, i would like to bring as little as possible. But equally i don't want to end up with jock-itch or the like. Normally i just wash my cycling shorts after every major journey. But could i get away with washing/changing them every second or third day, as long as i allowed them to dry in the evening?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You could consider wearing underwear, depending on whether this is comfortable for you and the distance. I do on my commute or shorter rides (up to 75-100km or so) and the shorts do for a good while certainly. Have never had a chafing problem although I accept it _is_ more comfortable without.

Depends on the distances you are doing and how much you sweat I guess, you might well get away with every second/third day even without underwear.

I'm doing two weeks in Spain myself, camping, and plan on bringing maybe three pairs and doing a wash in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Bring one change of shorts/jersey and wash them every evening (i.e. two pairs in total). If they don't dry overnight you can hang them outside your panniers to dry on the road the next day. It'll just take a couple of minutes to wash them (or wear them into the shower for the ultra-fast double-tasking method). Depending on when you go to Croatia it'll be pretty hot so they'll need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Morgan wrote:
    Bring one change of shorts/jersey and wash them every evening (i.e. two pairs in total). If they don't dry overnight you can hang them outside your panniers to dry on the road the next day. It'll just take a couple of minutes to wash them (or wear them into the shower for the ultra-fast double-tasking method). Depending on when you go to Croatia it'll be pretty hot so they'll need it.
    Avoid cotton t-shirts, they absorb and hold the sweat and they take ages to dry. Try a sports vest of the type that wicks the sweat away. Be prepared to spend around 35 euro in a good cycle or outdoor shop. These dry very quickly too. Ditto for the jersey, I bought a 'de Marchi' in CycleLogical for 85 euro amd it's a great cut/fit, has a full length zip and a zipped wallet pocket.

Advertisement