Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you miss PC gaming?

• 25-07-2007 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I'm considering investing in an X Box instead of a gaming PC. I will still be buying a budget PC but am wondering what are people experiences who've made the switch.

Do you miss PC gaming?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I dotn miss it really. I still play my pc occasionally but aside from a few online games like day of defeat source, counter strike source there hasnt been one PC game released this year that ive really wanted. Whereas the 360 has had a rake of games i wanted to play.
    Online gaming is better on PC, but SP gaming i prefer on the 360.
    Edit: stalker on PC is the only PC game ive bought so far this year, im trying to forget i ever bought armed assault as it basically raped my computer then shoved my toothbrush up its arse and left it back on the sink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Is the X Box elite worth waiting for? What about the X Box's hardware issues? Is it bugged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Do I miss the constant upgrading of graphics cards, CPU and RAM to
    ensure my rig is up to speed? Do I miss having to ensure I have the
    best drivers for getting the best performance from my kit? Hell no :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Well, I've just decided to move away from PC gaming and give the Xbox 360 a go. My PC was isn't cutting the mustard any more and I priced an upgrade to a decent spec at MINIMUM €800! And even a new machine would probably be out of date in 6 months.

Not much to get excited about in PC gaming for the foreseeable future, I'm afraid (only Crysis?) - plenty of cheap Xbox 360 older titles worth playing (GOW, Forza 2, Oblivion) - loads of promising titles out before Xmas (Mass Effect, Halo 3, Bioshock, Pro Evo, etc.) - online play seems to be working fairly well.

OK, the Xbox has its hardware issues but MS have now offered the 3-year warranty.

I may go back to the PC at some stage, but it might be a while. Plus my new 42" plasma with 6.1 surround sound demands an Xbox 360 :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

HL2: Episode 1 is the only PC game I've played this year, so much easier to like back with a controller and play on the TV instead of hunched up in-front of a screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I've only played a bit of counter strike in the past few months, other than that I don't go near the pc for gaming. I prefer to stick with the 360 to play my games especially online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

I think it depends entirely on what type of games you like. Two examples that spring to mind are racing or flight sims and the whole RTS genre where the PC excels. I bought the wheel for the 360 but I've used it once I think, too bloody awkward to rig it up everytime. Simbin have two great PC racers - RACE and GTR2 that are great fun with the right wheel. Also RTS titles (Medieval Total War etc.) are more prolific and play better on PC - the keyboard is hard to beat for these type of games. There are of course some great 360 titles, it's really horses for courses I guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Why would you miss it? I got myself a 360 last week, and its great. But why the hell would i just stop playing pc games (which in my opinion are, for the most part, better). Just cause you have a console doesnt mean you cant also play pc games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭qballirl

To give you a backround in what i was playing on the PC so you can get an idea of what kind of a gamer i am, games ive played and reasons why Joint Operations Typhoon Rising and all the expansions and mods this game was great as you could play huge maps and your clan was not limited also there was allot of tactical and team play really good game played this for nearly two years straight this game was the closet thing to perfect for me the only problem was allot of bad lag due to the massive multiplayer fame it was and also was made by Nova so it lacked in updates and then they where usually bad. CSS played this just as a breather for when i got bored of running around huge maps great game very small maps which was a bit annoying but hey thats the style of the game and also allot of assholes played this game which made me leave it. BF2 great game quaility graphics not the may west in game play and never got into the whole community buzz for that game, and WoW for about a week but i have to say wow so over hyped. After all my shananigans on the PC i decided last week to buy an XBox 360 got CoD3 with it amoung a few other games i wish not to mention (ie. Lost Planet) but to be honest i have not put down the controller in the past week, the community is great, i dunno wheter this is because you have to pay for membership or not and people respect it a bit more but every one plays great, every makes a team effort when playing which is my main attraction to this game. But the thing is you will have to get used to the joypad and if you dont want to i stumbled upon this little beauty the other day Click Here to check it out. All in all id say go for it i dont think you will do much more on the PC as one they say if you spend 1500euro on upgrades for a PC they are going to be obsolete in 6 to 7 months, one more thing if the 360 had a browser i would be probably be using it to post this comment here.

Best of Luck and let us know your decision, make it fast or youll just dwell over it.

Advertisement