Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damien O'Reilly on Liveline

• 25-07-2007 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Have to say after listening to him settling in, he is doing a very good job.

He doesn't seem to have the "baggage" that Duffy brings to the programme, like always playing the class card.

He is very fair and unbiased and yet is not afraid to confront when confrontation is required.

He also has that bit of "edge" needed to keep the show at the correct balance,and unlike Duffy, who wants to steer the caller into the "class" war, seem to have no apparent baggage himself.

Well done!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

Who is he? I never heard of him before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Normally does the farming report, at 0730 on a Sat.

Thats why you never heard of him:)

Also fills in a bit on sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I listrened to him most of last week....I found him very non-commmital in almost every piece he was commenting on. I know he should hold an unbiased position in his role as host, but the fence sitting on stuff ranging from traveller's graves to Streisand gigs was tiring (to me)
    Surely he has an opinion on some of the issues people are calling in with....nothing wrong with expressing your own view on a topic even if you are in the chair.

All that said, I've heard worse doing LL; that woman doing it last year was a head wreck and Derek Davis is a bit too enthusiastic and usually ended up telling everyone what he thought rather than letting his listeners do that bit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

He doesn't seem to have the "baggage" that Duffy brings to the programme, like always playing the class card.

He is very fair and unbiased and yet is not afraid to confront when confrontation is required.

He also has that bit of "edge" needed to keep the show at the correct balance,and unlike Duffy, who wants to steer the caller into the "class" war, seem to have no apparent baggage himself.

Well done!!!

Are you his Mammy ?

If Duffy does not come back soon I am going to take Bertie Ahern's advice and kill myself. This O'Reilly guy is doing my head in. Is he presenting Liveline as part of a Fas course ?

I appreciate that the chap has to get a start somewhere in the schedules and that we all need a break in early career days. However, I object to RTE's cheek in experimenting on listeners by substitutuing a relative unknown for a big name like Joe Duffy. It is unacceptable. I am sure that advertisers who pay for air time around these core programmes must be amused too.

Actually, I have had enough of him. I am switching over to Good Grief on Newstalk from next week and I may never come back.................:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

To be fair to Damien he's got over a decade of Broadcast experience. He's been around the block more than once. However, having said that Liveline is even worse with him than with Duffy.

NUTLEY BOY wrote:
    Are you his Mammy ?

If Duffy does not come back soon I am going to take Bertie Ahern's advice and kill myself. This O'Reilly guy is doing my head in. Is he presenting Liveline as part of a Fas course ?

I appreciate that the chap has to get a start somewhere in the schedules and that we all need a break in early career days. However, I object to RTE's cheek in experimenting on listeners by substitutuing a relative unknown for a big name like Joe Duffy. It is unacceptable. I am sure that advertisers who pay for air time around these core programmes must be amused too.

Actually, I have had enough of him. I am switching over to Good Grief on Newstalk from next week and I may never come back.................:mad:

Hold on there horse!!!

Damian O'Reilly is not an unknown,unknown to you maybe, which indicates to me you are not a RTE1 regular.

Now I realise a lot of your criticism is tongue in cheek but the guy is not bad.

Personally I'm pissed off with Duffy who was the anarchist in the anorak in the 70s,as he would like to be viewed,and loves playing the class card whenever he can get the chance.You can almost hear the guy quivering when someone from the leafy suburbs suggests that the punters in the nullarbor plains of west Dublin are somehow inferior"!"!!!!
    You would think he lives in the concrete deserts of Crumlint(sic) instead of the soothing oasis of Clontarf.

O'Reilly carries NO BAGGAGE into the programme which if nothing else is refreshing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

NUTLEY BOY wrote:
    However, I object to RTE's cheek in experimenting on listeners by substitutuing a relative unknown for a big name like Joe Duffy. It is unacceptable.

Wasn't Duffy an unknown until he started filling in for Gaybo one day a week ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He was, the Duffers accendency was gradual and is a textbook example of how to become part of the mainstream from the margins.

NUTLEY BOY raises a good point, I wonderr does RTE issue a summer rate card taking into account the lack of firepower at the mic?

Mike.

Duffers ascendancy was largly due to his repotage on the Gay Byrne show.

Gaybo went into paroxyisms every time he came on, why Il'l never know.

Gaybo groomed Duffy, who was an unusual at the time, a guy with a skanger accent talking on Ar Tee EE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Wasn't Duffy an unknown until he started filling in for Gaybo one day a week ?

You are quite right there. However, I think there is a point of distinction.

Was Duffy not Gaybo's reporter for a while on the GB show before getting in to the presenter's chair one day a week ? If so, that meant that Duffy was tried and tested over the ground on which he later presented. I do not know if O'Reilly logged similar flying hours or in the same way ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Nah, he seems a bit 'wet' to me and sounds like he should be doing voice-overs for insurance ads.

Derek 'aym the finest' Davis was always a much better summer replacement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

I think damien o'reilly is doing a fine job, well done damien:)

much better than derek "but in every five seconds" davis

anyway all u o'reilly knockers will be glad to know RED duffy is back tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭11.3 SECONDS

philstar wrote:
    anyway all u o'reilly knockers will be glad to know RED duffy is back tomorrow

That's the good news.

The bad news as I understood it to-day is that Duffy will be away again in a few weeks. Guess who his locum is going to be ???????:mad:

What junket is he on... he can't have any more holidays left??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Jaysus that was a quick holiday, does he not usually take July & August off??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

That's the good news.

The bad news as I understood it to-day is that Duffy will be away again in a few weeks. Guess who his locum is going to be ???????:mad:

Des Cahill?

I'll say this for Damien, he's picked up Joe's method of asking a difficult (read: personal) question.

e.g.

To a woman who's just been dumped

"And did you not..<sigh>..not that it's any of my....but people will wonder...<sigh>...did you not let him?"

:eek: Not Dezzie "Roigh yeah hmmmumph..Oi'd say de paarty laster for a long whoial after de victry" Cahill surely.

Ana has more sense than that-hasn't she???

Ana has more sense than that-hasn't she???

and you're basing that on what exactly? Drivetime? rattlebag? :p

Afraid you have a point there TBH,but not even Ana would let Cahill anywhere a serious programme surely..."ah cmon in fairness neow"

"Yeh roigh,, did yez have a good singsong after hmmmmmph"

Shoooorly shome mishhhtake missus.

• Advertisement

If Des Cahill does liveline I may have to eat my radio.

Mike.

who's this ...ana, you're talking about??

Ana Leddy, the controller of radio1

Mike.

This is all very depressing.

I think that I would prefer to listen to re-runs of Lord Haw Haw broadcasting from Germany in WW2.

Montrose caliing, Montrose calling.........

Give me strength or put a severe limitation on the holiday breaks that these guys seem to have in their contracts.

If you were the MD of a big advertiser who targets the audience around the Liveline slot would you put up with the crap they are airing while Duffy is away or would you be tempted to pull your advertising ?

With all due respect Duffy isn't the worst.

How about Marzie Finucane..two days a week on and the whole Summer off.

Wouldn't mind a number like that.

Even priests don't get holidays and they only work one day a week:mad:

BTW.....does anyone know what happened to Derek Davis??.....i taught he was the summer replacement for pat kenny....next thing i know bighead mc'gurk is there:confused:

UrbanFox wrote:
    This is all very depressing.

I think that I would prefer to listen to re-runs of Lord Haw Haw broadcasting from Germany in WW2.

Montrose caliing, Montrose calling.........

Give me strength or put a severe limitation on the holiday breaks that these guys seem to have in their contracts.

If you were the MD of a big advertiser who targets the audience around the Liveline slot would you put up with the crap they are airing while Duffy is away or would you be tempted to pull your advertising ?

According to the rate card the rates are the same all year round - I'm surprised at that.

Thats an interesting read, 10% off for 25% Irish language content I'm surprised more don't make use of that.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭11.3 SECONDS

mike65 wrote:
    Thats an interesting read, 10% off for 25% Irish language content I'm surprised more don't make use of that.

Mike.

I never knew that the Leaving Certificate bonus marks system had been developed that far ! That is a very interesting revelation Mike.

I suspect more don't use it for two reasons ;

(1) The % of "Irish speakers" according to the census is probably a bit dodgy on the overestimated side.

(2) With a large % of the audience not knowing "aon focail amhain" it would be a waste of revenue in terms of return.

I hated that bloody language anyway, official or not. Thank God the Gardai had the wit to dump it as a requirement..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

There's no show like an no show Joe show...or something like that...Joe is back then he's gone again...whats his story? The capable Damien O Reilly back to fill in again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Big Tone wrote:
    There's no show like an no show Joe show...or something like that...Joe is back then he's gone again...whats his story? The capable Damien O Reilly back to fill in again today.

it's a bleedin disgrace joe! a bleedin disgrace!!

what is? everything joe!!!

shooer shooer

He's off for two weeks I think. One of the weekend papers ran a feature saying Ana Leddy the rte radio 1 contoller is ending the summer perks for star names. I also leant in the article that Pat Kenny is actualy Pat Kenny Media Enterprises Ltd (or very similair)!

Mike.

I have been listening to Newstalk quite a bit recently and have to admit it grows on you a bit.RTE1 need to get off their collective arses if they want to hold their market share.

Already Ana has re vamped "Drivetime" ,a change that most posters on this forum copped on to aons ago, ie start earlier and cut out the Fanning bit.

its only a matter of time before that Clunker Dezzzie Cahill gets the chop,though as he would say himself,in fairness that slot was a load of bulldust.

Rte will be down on the ratings unless they generate more hard edged stuff instead of the usual fuzzy crap they produce.

The next JNLR ratings are out soon I think.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

I have been listening to Newstalk quite a bit recently and have to admit it grows on you a bit.RTE1 need to get off their collective arses if they want to hold their market share.

Already Ana has re vamped "Drivetime" ,a change that most posters on this forum copped on to aons ago, ie start earlier and cut out the Fanning bit.

its only a matter of time before that Clunker Dezzzie Cahill gets the chop,though as he would say himself,in fairness that slot was a load of bulldust.

Rte will be down on the ratings unless they generate more hard edged stuff instead of the usual fuzzy crap they produce.

Me too! Almost permenenantly on Newstalk now!

So they got rid of Fanning eh?! What's the new format now? Might tear myself away from "Hookie" this evening and have a listen.

As for Damian O' Reilly on Liveline, did you hear him the day the Drogheda taxi driver was on ? He made countless racist comments and not once did O'Reilly pull him up on it.

Dreadful stuff.

• Advertisement

Sorry,poor choice of words there.They didn't get rid of Fanning,just kinda gave him his own hour without the "Drivetime tag"

I can never understand Des Cahills slot.... its rolling news and current stuff up to six-thirty then they bring on Cahill who gives a bit of sports news and then interviews some dude well like Stephen Roche about his career and loses the whole impetus of the show,not that it had much anyway.Nothing wrong with a sports interview but that is not the time.

Then you have Fanning at 1900 talking a mile a minute and the whole balance of the programme is disrupted again.

I heard The Droooghda taxi guy on the airwaves indeed and you wouldn't want to be too bright to know where he thought the blame lay.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

damien o reilly is possibley thee blandest person ever to be heard on radio , well apart from larry gogan but at least with larry , you could listen to old classics on the golden hour
    damien o reilly is about as controversial and opinionated as the afforementioned larry gogan aswell , hes a fence sitter
    far too nice for his own good
    all in all , the show is a borefest with him presenting it

Bobby ,you have a point there .No edge at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

A fine example of the importance of picking a good locum to look after your practice while you are away. You never want to come back and find that the locum has killed off half of the patients and that the other half have left.

Duffy has my deepest sympathies as I suppose that he has no control over the nomination of the locum.

With respect to him I think that O'Reilly is out of his depth here or just not suitable. Either way, I have just stopped listening to Liveline as I can't take any more of it.

I have tuned elsewhere and will not bother tuning back to RTE until Joe Duffy returns.

I agree with an earlier observation about RTE's nerve in putting in a relative unknown as a locum for someone of Joe Duffy's standing. It is not much of a compliment to Duffy. Are they trying to insult Duffy or get rid of him and or Liveline ? I hope not. I would follow Duffy if he went elsewhere.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Personally I hate change, especially when Derek Davies is forced on me.I had heard O'Reilly before on the farm show, I think he's doing ok. Good news that the powers that be are going to curb these mega holidays, especially Kennys.Half a mill ,or whatever,for 9 months, of our money is a bit steep, often wondered what barrell he had them over.He's not that good afterall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

I think he's doing ok.

...apart from this week when he asked a blind man if he was driving!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

dubtom wrote:
    Personally I hate change, especially when Derek Davies is forced on me.
    was his brother Windsor watching?

No I doubt it , he is out in Malaya fighting for the B.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Tally-Ho chaps!!!

Enough.

DUFFY, if you are reading this please come home NOW !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Damien O'Reilly is boring and is always stuttering. Bring back Derek Davis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

sudzs wrote: »
    ...apart from this week when he asked a blind man if he was driving!!! :eek:

Valid question, he might have been using that clicking trick the dutch guy on the bike uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

DOR is very superficial and lightweight.

Asks boring unnecessary questions.

On some occasions it's very obvious he just tries to rile his callers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

He's a safe pair of hands. He doesn't show any kind of personality and lacks an edge that's needed for a programme like live-line.

Terrible accent.... terrible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement