Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gas hob and electric oven diy???

Options
  • 25-07-2007 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

just wandering
    is i possible to fit gas hob and electric oven?
    i can do electric oven but how about gas hob? there is copper pipe and gas hob is in place just need connection any idea or any one know who can do and is it safe to DIY?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

wasim21k wrote:
    just wandering
    is i possible to fit gas hob and electric oven?
    i can do electric oven but how about gas hob? there is copper pipe and gas hob is in place just need connection any idea or any one know who can do and is it safe to DIY?
    dont DIY a gas connection :eek:
    get a Bord Gais certified guy to do it.
    It shouldnt cost much at all and might mean your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

do you know any one who can do it? or where from i can find any one?:confused: i rang last week and he ask 400euro:mad: for gas hob and electric oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

if you are competent enough you can do all the setup yourself and just get the gas man to connect the pipe to the hob.
    Are you replacing an existing oven, does it have the same rating?
    If so it should be a straight swap.
    What is it you need the installer to do exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

If you have an existing gas cooker there should be a bayonet fitting on the end of the flexible tube. You push it it slightly and undo it as you would a light bulb. The fitting is gastight! Otherwise it's the gasman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'd offer to fit the hob for you for little money ,but it would be next week before I would be able.

• Advertisement

thanks gusy for reply
    but its not replacement it is new installation,
    gas supply pipe is there and oven cable is there as well its just matter of connecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

wasim21k wrote:
    thanks gusy for reply
    but its not replacement it is new installation,
    gas supply pipe is there and oven cable is there as well its just matter of connecting.

There should be a fitting like the one below on the end ogf the gas pipe. If there is already a hose on the hob then it's a simple matter of inserting the end of the hose into this fittind and push/turn the hose enf clockwise as you would install a light bulb.

gasfitting.jpg

hhhmmm there nothing like there but just gas pipe. i think i better take pictures of location and post here for better understanding. and thanks for reply

Heinrich wrote:
    There should be a fitting like the one below on the end ogf the gas pipe. If there is already a hose on the hob then it's a simple matter of inserting the end of the hose into this fittind and push/turn the hose enf clockwise as you would install a light bulb.

gasfitting.jpg

Heinrich ,gas cookers and hobs do not come with cooker hoses.
    Regardless of who installs it ,the gas line needs to be checked after installation . Sometimes new appliances leak and need to be sent back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

_Brian_ wrote:
    Heinrich ,gas cookers and hobs do not come with cooker hoses.
    Regardless of who installs it ,the gas line needs to be checked after installation . Sometimes new appliances leak and need to be sent back.

And the appliance must have an flame failure device installed.

This is not a DIY job, get a registered gas installer to connect it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

By law you have to get a certified installer to do it for you, although it shouldn't cost €400 to do it.

It's normally €80 to connect a gas hob/cooker. Thats if the line is already there.
    Cooker hose on top of that is another €20.

Advertisement