Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

missing bike

Options
  • 25-07-2007 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

any idea where's a good place to look for a bike that was stolen in dublin 6? it's a racer and my pride and joy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Sorry to hear that. Your best bet after notifying the gardaí would be to call around to the bike shops and keep a keen eye on Buy & Sell / Gum Tree / Adverts.ie etc. Do you have a photo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Where in Dublin 6? I *think* I saw a bike being knicked the other day in Terenure but I couldn't be sure.

There's this little house that an old lady used live in but she died. They've been trying to get planning permission for a while but can't so it's become overgrown and derilict (sp??).

So anyway, I see this guy (skanger type, trackie and hat at 45 degree angle) lifting a bright pink brand new bike with front and rear suspension out over this old house's gate. He gets on it and cycles off. The bike is clearly too small for him.

Now I'm wondering did he climb into someone's back garden via this old unkept house? I can't be sure but it did look suspicious to me.

Should I report to the guards? Or is it worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭oneeyedsnake

tywy wrote:
    Where in Dublin 6? I *think* I saw a bike being knicked the other day in Terenure but I couldn't be sure.

There's this little house that an old lady used live in but she died. They've been trying to get planning permission for a while but can't so it's become overgrown and derilict (sp??).

So anyway, I see this guy (skanger type, trackie and hat at 45 degree angle) lifting a bright pink brand new bike with front and rear suspension out over this old house's gate. He gets on it and cycles off. The bike is clearly too small for him.

Now I'm wondering did he climb into someone's back garden via this old unkept house? I can't be sure but it did look suspicious to me.

Racers don't have suspension.You are better off not approaching the scumbag,he could have a knife ect...You could report it to the police but the chances of them even bothering to write down what your telling them is about the same as you or I winning the lotto.to the op there are meant to be places in town that you can pick up a selection of stolen bikes but I'm not sure of their exact where abouts, just pop into some random gouger pub and ask a few questions at the bar.Your better off just forgetting about it and in future do you commuting on a crappy 100 euro bike and save your racer for proper spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Dude, have you got a mobile phone? If so, you've got nothing whatsoever to lose by reporting the incident. There's a culture of not reporting stuff to the cops here and, frankly, it's a disgrace because it only makes life easier for thieves.

Having your bike nicked is heartbreaking. Conversely, the nicking of a bike is one of the most insidious and unforgiveable crimes against property there is. Everyone should ALWAYS report anything they see in relation to bike theft or even the suspicion of it. If someone is innocently retrieving their own bike, believe me, the cops will be able to tell pretty quickly. If not, then you may have saved someone some serious pain.

OP, I feel your pain.
    tywy wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Racers don't have suspension.You are better off not approaching the scumbag,he could have a knife ect...You could report it to the police but the chances of them even bothering to write down what your telling them is about the same as you or I winning the lotto.to the op there are meant to be places in town that you can pick up a selection of stolen bikes but I'm not sure of their exact where abouts, just pop into some random gouger pub and ask a few questions at the bar.Your better off just forgetting about it and in future do you commuting on a crappy 100 euro bike and save your racer for proper spins.

sorry, yeah I know that that particular incident wasn't your bike :P I was just making a comment, wondering was it the same guys is all...

Hope you find your bike! Although it's probably unlikely! Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

blorg wrote:
    Sorry to hear that. Your best bet after notifying the gardaí would be to call around to the bike shops and keep a keen eye on Buy & Sell / Gum Tree / Adverts.ie etc. Do you have a photo?

Ye I notified the gardaí and they sounded like they care (which is comforting at least though unlikely to be usefull). I figure if the statistics of bikes being stolen actually reflected the number of bikes being robbed, maybe they'd have to do something about it? worth a try anyway

I dont have any photos unfortunately cause i put a huge amount of work into setting it up just perfect for me. It was locked inside a locked shed in my garden and nothing else was even touched. even the other two bikes it was locked to are still there and they're two very good mountain bikes...

in case anyone sees it around it's a creamy- grey giant tcr2. all the parts are changed on it and the most noticeable features are pale grey bartape and a white fizik arione saddle with a silver stripe up the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

You could try to ask IrishCycling.com to put a message up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

cyco wrote:
    It was locked inside a locked shed in my garden and nothing else was even touched. even the other two bikes it was locked to are still there and they're two very good mountain bikes...

Where in Dublin 6 - end of Highfield Road by any chance - I had a bike nicked a few months ago from same area - and a few more have been taken. Reported to the gardai - never heard of it again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement