Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What wireless router should I get?

• 25-07-2007 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I'm using Talk Talk (I live in the UK) ADSL broadband and want to go wireless. Up until late last year I was using NTL cable and sold my old Linksys wireless router which I always found to be quite useful.

I have a Sitecom WL-140 wireless laptop card (discontinued by Sitecom).

So what ADSL router should I get for good signal strength throughout my 2-storey house, and that will be fast. Sitecom claim that their card can give up to 140 MBps speed so I'd like a router that doesn't limit me to 54MBps...just to test them out like :)

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

For ADSL, this model from Netgear looks promising. Seven antennae for wifi should [hopefully] improve reception.

When used with suitable Netgear wireless devices, you can get higher speeds [not usually as high as quoted but still an improvement of 802.11g]. This is the primary aim of a MIMO router like this one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The problem with wireless equipment is that it is notoriously difficult to predict how it will behaving in any particular situation.

However if you still have contacts in Dublin Peats have this offer at the moment and it really is very hard to beat it - http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=21705&sid=14&cid=120&scid=20006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks for the replies guys, that version is available on Amazon with the wireless car but for £99 making Peats cheaper!! There's a first!

r3nu4l wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys, that version is available on Amazon with the wireless car but for £99 making Peats cheaper!! There's a first!

Yes I was amazed as the router by itself is well over 100 sterling online on some sites.

Okay, Just wanted to reply to say that I bought that router from peats, excellent value and they shipped it to the UK :) Even with the shipping it was cheaper than anywhere else I've seen it :)

It configured easily enough but I do have a problem with the cardbus, that's for another thread :)

Thanks again dub45!

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote:
    Okay, Just wanted to reply to say that I bought that router from peats, excellent value and they shipped it to the UK :) Even with the shipping it was cheaper than anywhere else I've seen it :)

It configured easily enough but I do have a problem with the cardbus, that's for another thread :)

Thanks again dub45!

You are very welcome - all I need to do now is call into Peat's introduce myself as Dub45 show them your glowing testimonial and claim my commission!:D

What problems are you having I would be interested to hear? (or read!)

dub45 wrote:
    What problems are you having I would be interested to hear? (or read!)

See this. Wireless connection constantly connecting and dropping. Switching very fast between connect and disconnect.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Looking to get my sisters pc wirelss..
    would this kit do, or would I need to buy a usb wireless thing aswell?

Lenny wrote:
    Looking to get my sisters pc wirelss..
    would this kit do, or would I need to buy a usb wireless thing aswell?

You would need a wireless card or a usb - the card thats free with the netgear offer in Peats is for a laptop.

Advertisement