Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out of College -A Huge Disadvantage?

Options
  • 25-07-2007 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Is it a major disadvantage having dropped out of College? I dropped out of UCD Arts a couple of years ago. Is anyone else in a similar situation? Does anyone else has any experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Glacier wrote:
    Is it a major advantage having dropped out of College? I dropped out of UCD Arts a couple of years ago. Is anyone else in a similar situation? Does anyone else has any experience?

In terms of what? Getting a job, going back to college, buying purple monkeys?
    Oh and your title says disadvantage, but your post says advantage so I think your need some form of education alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 HarrierJoe

Oh and your title says disadvantage, but your post says advantage so I think your need some form of education alright.

Seems like you are too quick on the trigger there Buck Rogers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

In terms of what? Getting a job, going back to college, buying purple monkeys?

If you have nothing useful to say, please say nothing.

Banned for two weeks. Pm me to remind me to lift the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

once you are out working it shouldn't be a big disadvantage you probably have a feeling that you missed out on something somewhere in the back of your mind but it really does not have a huge bearing on the job you end up doing. I know a girl that did computing in an IT recently qualified and is now working as a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

sheesh wrote:
    once you are out working it shouldn't be a big disadvantage you probably have a feeling that you missed out on something somewhere in the back of your mind but it really does not have a huge bearing on the job you end up doing. I know a girl that did computing in an IT recently qualified and is now working as a journalist.

Journalism is a strange career though, in that surprisingly few journalists actually have a qualification in journalism yet if you contact a newspaper and ask them what qualification you need to apply for a job as a journalist, they will probably insist that you have attended a journalism course.

Like your friend with her IT qualification, you will find journalists with qualifications in a whole range of subjects and some without any qualification at all, its all about getting your foot in the door and proving that you can do the job.

It depends on what you want to do, certain careers such as doctors, engineers etc. regard relevant qualifications as compulsory, while other careers are a bit looser and you can learn on the job if you show some ability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement